Layla: First Few Days in the Cabin

Layla

1st Day in the Cabin

I woke up in a bedroom I didn't recognize. I sat up in bed and my body felt beyond weird. My head was sore, my muscles ached and my joints felt like they were going to fall apart. I looked around at my surroundings trying to remember everything. There was a desk against the wall to my left and a dresser against the wall to my right. I was so confused, but I had a bad feeling. I got up from the bed and again, my body ached with each move. On the floor near the bed, were my bags, pillow, and blanket. On the desk was a light. Within the small beam of light, there was a folded-up piece of paper that was placed. I went over to the desk and unfolded the paper. When I read "My Dearest," I thought that the letter was from Bash, but I was wrong. I was so very wrong.

I retreated into myself more with every word I read. "Cameras?" "Locked door?" "Escape? Consequences? What the Hell? My body went rigid and the delicate piece of paper slowly fell out of my hands. Mr. Williams? What was going on? I had so many thoughts running through my mind and I began to piece everything together.

I faintly remember this room from a different view. I remember feeling panicked and running away. I looked to the stairs that were the exit to this room. I looked out the window and I saw my surroundings, I was in a forest. To be more specific, it was almost sunset, the golden light illuminated the trees around where I was and I grew fearful knowing that night was coming soon. I was going to be alone in an unfamiliar place. Wait, was I alone? The letter talked about Mr. Williams staying away, but could I trust that? Did Mr. Williams have someone here watching me? I felt scared. Trying to piece together my new situation was something I couldn't process.

I started walking over to the edge of the stairs. I looked down them and knew that the curve blocked my sight to the rest of the stairs so I couldn't see what waited for me at the bottom. The sunlight was growing darker. I took a deep breath and placed one foot down on the first step, lights from behind my ankle lit up the whole step and I watched as each step was activated and glowed as well. I carefully and quietly walked down the wooden steps. I got the door and when I pushed on the door, it didn't open, but it rocked slightly. With my hands still against the wood I pushed my hands to one side and the door slid open to my left. I looked in front t of me and I saw a table and a bookshelf to my right and another bookshelf to my left. I looked, around waiting for any sense of movement. Nothing. I tiptoed out and made my way to the couch area. Everything looks pristine. I again wait and held still. There was still no noise beyond my own breathing.

I felt both alone and as though I was being watched. A door. I saw a door. I began running towards the door and ignored my achy body. I had a sense of deja vu as I ran. I ran to the door and felt frustrated when the door didn't open. The handle wouldn't budge. I took a moment to look closer at the door. The handle had a keyhole as did the deadbolt. I had no key. I ran to the windows along the living room area. I tried to look for a way to open them. My adrenaline was kicking in. The feeling of being stuck and being trapped started sinking in and my heart was racing with panic. The windows were not meant to open. I looked around. I needed something big. I looked at the dining room table and I saw the chairs. I ran over and carried back one of the chairs to the window.

I held the chair by its back and I warmed up my arms by swinging the chair a little bit. I changed my grip. My right hand held the back of the chair. and my left arm held onto the seat so that the legs of the chair extended in front of me. I placed myself next to the window and I swung. I waited for a little crunch or the sound of glass breaking. Instead, I heard a dull clatter. The window was unharmed. The chair legs just bounced off the window. I swung again and again.

A voice broke me out of my trance. A voice was coming from behind me. "Please. Stop." I turned around and tried to find the source of the voice. "Yes. I'm here." The voice called out again and I was able to find the source. I placed the chair down and grabbed the box from the coffee table. I remembered the letter mentioned this communication thing. I pressed the button in the middle and asked "Mr. Williams?" I knew the answer, but I just needed to be sure. "Yes," The voice responded. "Where am I?" I asked.