Mr. Williams/ Layla:I'm sorry

Mr.Williams

Layla collapsed in my arms and the weight of the situation finally rested on my shoulders. The weight was overbearing. I couldn't take it. What I had done to Layla was unspeakable. I am the reason Layla is so broken. I collapsed alongside Layla. I heard Layla's sobs as she clung to my shirt. Her desperation broke me to my core. This was all my fault. After a long time on the floor, Layla fell asleep in my arms. Exhaustion and weariness must have made Layla drift off to sleep. I pulled her into my arms tighter and I weighed my options. I wanted to take Layla up to her bed, but I wasn't allowed in there. Setting her up in my room is too presumptuous. I laid Layla down on the couch and watched as serenity washed over her. Layla looked so gaunt, I could see her collarbones. I noticed when I held her a moment ago, Layla was significantly lighter than when I first brought her here to the cabin. I placed a blanket over her when I noticed that it was chilly. I lit the fireplace and grew fascinated with the fake flames. I began to think about the past two weeks and how horrible they were.

I was lost in thought when I heard some stirring behind me. I turned to find Layla looking around. Layla was drowsy, but she was intent on looking around. What was she looking for? "Mr. Williams," Layla asked confused. I practically crawled to her side, "Yes, Layla?" I answered in a whisper. Layla didn't say anything else, was she trying to find me? "I am going to go unpack for a bit, I'll try to be quiet so I don't wake you," I said.
"But I-" Layla began to say. "I will be right over there in my room, in case you need anything," I replied as I pulled the blanket over Layla's shoulder. I wanted desperately to kiss her on the forehead, but I knew better. I got up and went into my room. I began sorting my clothes and after some time, I heard the faintest knock. I turned around to find Layla standing in the doorway, Layla was still wrapped in her blanket.

"We need to talk, but not now," Layla said in a dazed state.
"Of course," I replied while holding a few shirts in my hands.I was practically in shock.
"Right now, I don't want to be alone," Layla said. Layla looked from me to my bed which had four separate piles of clothes on it. I immediately shoved all of the piles off the bed. I returned my gaze to Layla who was now slowly walking over. Layla crawled into bed but didn't get under the covers. Layla faced away from me and I felt lost. Do I go to bed? Do I sleep on the ground? Do I continue unpacking? What is the protocol here? I just stood and watched as Layla dozed off. Layla kept to the right side of the bed, I would have room to sleep next to her, but it doesn't feel right. I decided to set up shop on the ground. I hadn't found any comfy shirts so I would sleep shirtless. I had managed to find one pair of sweatpants so I put those on. The entire night I remained awake. Too many thoughts ran through my mind. I thought of Layla. I thought of my family. I thought of the police investigation.

I waited until sunlight began to gleam through the curtains. I sat up and saw Layla, she was so still. I crept out of the bedroom quietly. I then began to sort through the boxes that I hadn't gone through the previous night. I found the coffee maker and decided to set it up. The coffee box was packed first, right when I still had a clear head when packing. I found coffee grounds and filters and started my morning. I wasn't tired but knew from experience that exhaustion hit you like a brick wall. Exhaustion creeps up on you, right when you think you are fine to continue, exhaustion takes you down.

I didn't unpack anything else. I sat on the couch. I did nothing but sit and wait for Layla. We had much to discuss. An hour or so must have gone by, but I just waited. I made my second cup of coffee.

Layla

I woke up clothed in the sunshine, but it brought me no warmth. I woke in Mr. Williams' room, but he was nowhere in sight. Instead, I was greeted with so many piles of clothes. Mr.Williams was here, somewhere in the cabin. I felt achy, but I got myself up. I needed answers. I walked to the living room and felt drained of energy. My head was pounding. I found Mr. Williams. Mr. Williams was sitting on the couch. Mr. Willliams was shirtless and drinking coffee. There was no love in his eyes, there was only shame and fear.