Aaron/ Sebastian: Gala Night Pt.1

AaronI walked downstairs to breakfast. I was surprised to find both of my parents already awake and eating breakfast on their own. "Hey bud, do you want some toast? I just put some down." My dad asked as he was already putting jelly on his own pieces. "Thanks, that would be great," I answered. My mom was at the stove. I could smell eggs and bacon. It was nice to see us all functioning together again. "I've got some scrambled eggs. Bacon will be ready in a few minutes if you have time before you leave" My mom called out over her shoulder.

I knew I was going to be cutting it close, but I decided I could be late for one day. I may get an attendance point, but this was the happiest I have felt in a long time and I was not going to let my silly job ruin this for me. "Sure Mom. Thank you." I said as I sat down at the table. Eggs, bacon, and toast seemed like the perfect breakfast. We sat together and I don't know why, but I soaked in this moment.

I took off for work at the same time as my dad. Our departure left Mom at home on her own. Our plan tonight for dinner was going to be a tater tot casserole. I was in charge of picking up some frozen tots on my way home from work. I went to work and realized that it was Friday. The office was about to have the weekend off from work. The energy everywhere was pure excitement and I really wanted to join in, but something nagged at me. I was trying so hard, but the emptiness just wanted to echo through me. I felt flutters of happiness because I didn't have to work tomorrow, but then I wondered what I would be doing instead. My family wasn't going anywhere and we would just be home. Maybe Sebastian would come and join us for the weekend.

If I am completely honest, Sebastian has been a blessing to my family during this troubling time. I live in a family of hermits. If we were left to our own devices, I don't think I would recognize my parents today. My mom would have probably succumbed to her grief and I think my dad would have buried his fear in his work and taken too many overtime hours.

I always grew up being taught the value of hospitality. When someone is in your home, you take care of them first. When Sebastian is here, we must put aside our grief for his sake. It was annoying at first, but soon enough we actually started getting better. When Sebatain is here, we have to look beyond ourselves, and that helps to pull us out of the pocket of grief. Well, I guess it's more like you have to crawl out of the hole of your grief. Sebtasin also knew a completely different Layla than we did so hearing about her through someone else's perspective is a wonderful experience.

I decided to stop at church before I went home. The pastor and I had become rather familiar and he seems to expect me now. I pray sometimes, but mostly, I think I go to church because I am expected to. I don't want the pastor or God to think I have given up on Layla but, I guess I can just keep my thoughts to myself. God can judge me later.

I drove home and had the grocery bag in my hand. It was nearly 5:30. My mom's car was in the driveway so I parked in the street leaving a spot for my dad's car. He should be home in an hour and then we can start making dinner. As I stepped inside, I was greeted with a familiar scene. My mom was in her uniform, but she sat in the window. "Hi, mom. How was work?" I asked. I began taking off my coat when my mom answered. "It went really well. I only broke down twice. I think I'm getting better at it." My mom said with a smile. "Only twice? Then I guess you're doing great. You said it was three breakdowns yesterday. In a couple of shifts, you should be good to go." I said trying to keep the tone light. "I'll keep that in mind." My mom chuckled.

"Dad won't be home for a while, do you want to do anything while we wait?" I asked. I was perfectly happy to stay here with her, or I could retreat to my bedroom. " I just brewed some tea if you want to sit with me." My mom said softly. I nodded my head. "Why don't we change first and then meet back here?" I suggested. My mom set her cup down and then left for her room. I followed behind and went into my own. I put on some comfy sweats with a T-shirt. I poured myself a cup of tea when I went downstairs and added a bunch of honey. I rejoined my mom and we sat in the bay window.