The bet. |J. Potter

James and Lily were off in the abandoned classrooms snogging when Lily suddenly blurted, "Merlin Potter, you can't get enough of me can you." she said chuckling, wiping her lips. "What's that supposed to mean Evans?" he said adjusting his robes.

"At the end of the day, it's me you'll chase, me you'll never leave." The redhead said in a matter-of-fact tone.

"Who says I can't leave you aye, I could have any girl in this school." He said.

"Is that so? I challenge you to a bet, Find a girl and stick with her and see if not being with me is so easy as you make it seem J." Lily said smirking, the way James chased her throughout the years until she gave him a chance, she knew he couldn't do it.

James on the other hand had confidence in himself. Sure he admire Lily Evans a lot, he pursued her for quite the while until she finally let up but he wasn't weak for her, he could leave her alone, though he didn't want to.

"Then it's a bet, find some girl and see if you can hold a relationship for longer than a month without crawling back to me." Lily said as she twirled her hair around her finger with a smug grin on her face

"Fine, It'll be you running back to me Evans, just you wait." James said as he walked off back to his dormitory.

An hour later

"She challenged you to a bet?" Sirius said with his eyebrows raised as he munched on his grapes.

James ruffles with his hair in stress. It's not the bet itself he was worried about, it was the girl he'd choose for it. He had no idea who to pick, he knew there's a whole bunch of girls dying to want to be seen with him, It was still a hard decision.

"I dunno mate, who would I pick, I can't be seen with just anyone, Plus I need to show Evans that I'm James Potter I don't chase anyone" He said with a slight grin on his face. He will admit he pursued Lily for a while, but once he finally had her he didn't really see why he spent all those years running after her like a rat.

"What about that hufflepuff , penny—I think her name is, she's got quite the rack on her aye." Peter said playfully elbow bumping James.

James shook his head instantly, "She's had half of the male population of Hogwarts in her sheets, I'll pass." Penny wasn't bad in the face and she had a good figure, she wasn't quite what James looked for.

"Don't you think it's cruel, to subject any clueless girl to a stupid game you're playing with your girlfriend." Remus inquired in. James didn't see it that way though, he saw it as innocent fun.

"Remus who's that ravenclaw girl you study with sometimes, you know the one with the big hair and thick glasses?" Sirius described. James knew instantly who he was referring to. Meera, a 5'7 yet petite darker skinned girl who wore her very coily hair in afros and other styles.

James smiled to himself, Meera was gorgeous, but she always had her head in a book and didn't talked much. but her beauty always made her stand out, she would constantly have some dumb lad chasing her, unlike Lily she genuinely didn't enjoy being chased. Always shooing them away like flies. She was perfect

"That's it, It's Meera it is." James said in a breath of relief, fearing he might've lost the challenge before it started.

Remus held a look of disapproval. "C'mon guys, Meera's kind and has a good heart, don't do this to her pick someone else." Remus said in a sitting up. Remus was one of the people Meera did talk to, they were very good acquaintances almost friends some would say.

"It's just innocent fun Remus." James said tapping his mates shoulder as he got ready for the night.

Just innocent fun

It was the next day, and as James set out for his first class of the day, He thought about what Remus said earlier, maybe the devious game is a bit mean and also childish. He didn't want to hurt an innocent girls feelings for shits and giggles.

He thought about this all day on his way to Potions, which he had with Remus and Lily.

As he made his way to class, he sat next to lily. After the professor finished his lecture classmates dispersed into chatter.

"So who's the girl you chose, or you chickened out like I thought because you can't resist me." Lily said with a sly smirk on her face.

"Oh no Evans, you'll see who the lucky lady is, you may even get jealous." James said smiling.

TIME SKIP

So as James walked into the library, of course he saw Meera with eyebrows furrowed, scribbling in parchment, James decided to make his move.

"You don't ever catch a break huh?" James said in a joking tone pulling a chair across from the girl.

Meera didn't even look up, assuming the young man was speaking with someone else but the silence that followed made her look up at James. "Excuse me" Meera said adjusting her glasses looking at James, she was very perplexed as to why he was talking to her.

"I said you don't ever catch a break lady, yer noggins always in a book, you practically live in the library." Meera stared at him for a moment before awkwardly laughing. It was James Potter trying to make conversation, James was one of Remus' friends but was also the most popular lad in school.

"Yeah, I'm just brushing up on some work." Meera said but her insides were dancing.

"Why don't you take a short break, have a chat." James said slouching in the chair.

I'm so going to win this

Meera and James talked for what felt like hours. The chatter flower naturally and they spoke about anything and everything. The two didn't even notice the library emptying out until the lights began to shut off.

"C'mon I'll walk you to your dorm." James said as he picked up Meera's bag and tossed in on his shoulder. Meera didn't say anything about this kind act as she was still in a slight shock that James potter stopped to talk to her.

"What made you talk to me today." Meera said slowing down her steps. Though she enjoyed the conversation, she was now skeptical, all the years they've attended Hogwarts together, even have had some of the same classes despite him being a year above her she questioned why he chose a random Thursday evening to chat.

James knew he couldn't tell her the truth, that he was using her in the childish game with Lily. "Well, I always see you around and Remus has nothing but good things to say about you, and I felt like it was time to get to know you Meera." James said, but part of it was true. He's always noticed Meera ever since his second year when it was her first. He never had a strong desire to speak with her because he thought she was boring, but today's recent events proved him wrong.

"Oh well this is me, Bye James have a goodnight." Meera said rushing off her to dormitory entrance, answering the riddle and walking inside.

James watched her walk inside and thought to himself

What am I getting myself into?