009. The Baratheons

After the pleasant heat of Casterly Rock, where soft winds barely left kisses on the princess's cheeks, Naenya was greeted by the strange sounds of the mighty storms that often found a home at Storms End. For the unprepared, the harsh torrent of rain would surely drench someone from head to toe as the howls and screams of the winds cursed their ears. 

A terrifying day for the arrival of a terrifying truth. A woman would soon rule over men. 

Naenya was prepared, of course, draped in a crimson red cloak that held the Targaryen symbol as Ser Loren tore off his gold cloak to hold over the princess' head. She stood in the middle of the courtyard of the formidable castle of Storms End, one of the few completely dry despite the havoc of rain that tried to attack her. 

The Baratheons stood calmly in the storm, utterly unbothered by the water washing over their skin, as they waited for the princess. Lord Boremund and his wife stood like stone, hard, strong and unmoving, next to their three sons. It was only Lady Baratheon that had servants trying to protect her from the prevailing winds and rain, though Lady Baratheon seemed completely unconcerned. Naenya was staring into the eyes of the formidable Stags. 

"Lord Boremund, Lady Katherine," Naenya greeted the two, giving them a firm nod as they bowed, "I am thankful to have finally made my way through the storm and into your welcoming home,"

Neither Boremund nor Katherine's faces shifted, remaining as stone. Naenya didn't worry. Boremund had always been such a way. She doubted Boremund had even cried as a babe and instead simply stared at his mother with unmoving eyes. Boremund would need a wife of a similar personality, though Naenya was surprised a second person was born without facial expressions. 

Naenya turned her gaze to the three children, her eyes immediately falling upon Elden Baratheon's trickster smile and mischievous eyes. He had grown since their last meeting, though he was still slightly shorter than Naenya. She watched as Elden seemed to catch on to the same realisation, his sly smile widening. The act caused Naenya to frown, and she struggled to understand how Elden's confidence only seemed to be able to soar, regardless of what was occurring around or to him. 

"It is nice to meet your sons too, of course," Naenya finally snatched her eyes away from Elden, turning back to Boremund and Katherine, "They look like they will make fine Baratheon men. You must be pleased,"

Finally, Katherine's face seemed to shift. It was only the slightest of shifts, unnoticeable to most who weren't watching closely. Naenya noticed how her eyes softened slightly upon turning to look at her sons, the corners of her mouth relaxing. Katherine, like many other women, had a very simple weakness. Her children. Elden was her eldest, the same age as Rhaenyra, while Boremund was only a year younger. Alistair Baratheon, being held by a maid, appeared only to be about a year old. Despite the age gap, it was clear Katherine loved each of her children equally, and both her eldest and youngest held a strong resembelance to their mother. Something Naenya was certain Katherine adored. 

"We are honoured to have you, Princess Enya," Elden spoke up, a teasing look dancing in his eyes, "I would, personally, die a happy man if you gave me the honour of showing you our castle of storms,"

"Enya?" Katherine had turned her head towards Elden, a questioning and disapproving tone in her lowered voice.

"You have met my eldest before?" Boremund Baratheon spoke up, his voice naturally commanding. 

"We met at the tourney," Elden said, his eyes not moving from Naenya's, "We had a pleasant chat before she had to return to her duties,"

Naenya guarded her expression, not wanting anyone to see her true reactions. She was here on duty and could not fall to petty, childish antics. She was to be Queen. 

"I feared young Elden had gotten lost," Naenya spoke up, her voice emphasising the 'young' part, "I wished to help him find his way back to his mother, but I was unfortunately pulled away by my sworn guard. Luckily, he was older than I had first assumed, and I wasn't leaving a helpless child as I had first thought,"

Naenya glanced over to Elden to see he had looked away with a shake of his head. The displeased smile on the eldest Baratheon son's face gave way to a small smile gracing Naenya's own face. 

"He was rather small for his age, though the maester's say he is rapidly growing," Katherine told Naenya, clearly only interested in discussing her children, "The maester says all my children will grow to be quite tall and firm. Worthy men for knighthood,"

Naenya nodded, "I am certain they will,"

"Enough talk of my sons," Boremund spoke up, turning slightly to reveal the entrance to the castle, "I am sure Princess Naenya is tired from her journey and would be much more interested in a warm meal and a bed,"

Katherine Baratheon nodded, her face shifting back to the stone-faced appearance it had been before. 

"Come, I am sure my family can pester you tomorrow," Boremund spoke, offering his arm, "But only once you have slept and eaten,"

...Author Typing

BRUH ITS THE BARATHEONS. GOTTA LOVE THE EMOTIONLESS BOIS. Don't worry, Elden has plenty of shenanigans left. 

Also, Naenya and Elden just being children with their retorts to one another