026. Love Never Lost

The bushes around the brown-haired boy rustled, causing him to dive head-first into where he suspected the sound to be. A soft thud was heard, followed quickly by a groan. Four sets of gangly, long legs fell out from the bush, one donned in green and one in red. 

"Why would you dive into a rustling bush?" Aegon groaned, pushing Maegor with his shoulder, "Do you have any self-preservation in you?"

"No, not really," Maegor grinned, splaying one of his legs over Aegon's as they sat on the path together, "Plus, if you're all I have to protect myself from, then I think I'm going to be perfectly fine,"

Aegon didn't respond, his long hair useful in covering his blushing cheeks as he stared at the Maegor's leg so lazily resting on his own. 

Maegor Targaryen, being of wedding age, was the talk of the Red Keep. He held both his mother's and father's best qualities in personality and appearance. His soft hair could curl around a finger so nicely, and his charismatic smile made every young lady who visited the Red Keep swoon. 

He was a very popular choice among all the Houses when it came to marrying off their daughters. It wasn't just his position as a Targaryen or as a potential King-to-be. No, if it were that simple, Aegon would have just as many ladies lined up to marry him, too. No, as his mother had made it plainly clear, Maegor had many more prospects than Aegon. Every Lady genuinely wanted to see themselves hanging on Maegor's arm. 

Aegon couldn't blame them, but as Aegon enjoyed watching the breeze push Maegor's hair out of his face, he knew he needn't fret just yet about their encroaching hold on Maegors attention. At the moment, Maegor still chose to spend time with Aegon in the gardens over time with pretty ladies with pretty manners. 

"What's got you lost in thought," Maegor tilted his head to the side with a smile, the sun causing his normally darker hair to lighten to a soft brown, "I swear, normally I can't get you to shut up,"

Aegon bit his lip, there were plenty of ways he would like Maegor to shut him up, but none of them were allowable. Aegon despised it. Had Maegor been born female, the two would likely have been married off immediately, yet because Maegor was a male, he had to try his best to find women who looked as similar to Maegor as possible. Plenty of brown-haired girls were on the Street of Silk, yet few had that particular trait that made Maegor so irresistible to Aegon and half of Kings Landing. 

"Wait, actually. What were you doing hiding in the bushes?" Maegor asked, poking Aegon's cheek, "You weren't being a drunk, were you? Mother says she had forbidden you from such antics,"

Aegon groaned, quickly pushing his hair away from his face. He took a moment to grasp Maegors hand in his, appearing as though he were doing it to remove Maegor's finger from his face. Though in reality, he found the simpleness of hand-holding rather calming, it was never something he got to do with his mother or siblings.