022. An Expedition For The Ages

Vanya stared at the ghost in the doorway from her side of the bed.

Her mournful face and owl-like eyes were illuminated only by the small candle glowing by the door. A river of crimson trickled down from the side of the woman's face while the sword thrust into her chest showed no signs of gushing pain. 

The woman was not inclined to move as Vanya sat up in bed, her eyes seeming to dull further as she stared at her. The woman's crimson dress seemed to reflect that of the Targaryen colour. Perhaps she was family. 

"What do you want," Vanya asked, her voice barely a whisper. 

The woman tilted her head, her eyes beginning to leak red tears as she stared at Maegor, who was sleeping beside Vanya. Vanya put her arm over Maegor's sleeping figure, catching the lady in red's attention. 

"Leave him alone," Vanya said, swallowing the lump in her throat. 

The woman had never visited her when Vanya was with Maegor, and it was why she so enjoyed their sleepovers together. Perhaps the Red Lady hadn't noticed him until now. 

"You sought me out," The woman's voice seemed choked, as though her vocal cords were fighting against something to be heard, "My body will remain-"

"No!"

Vanya lurched out of bed, clawing at her throat as rogue tears rolled down her chin. Breathing heavily, she pulled the blankets closer to her body in a feeble attempt to warm the cold feeling of death that lingered deep in her chest. 

"Vanya? Are you alright?" Maegor rumbled from beside her. 

He only had a single eye open, his hair sticking out at every possible angle it could, as he pulled the blanket covering his body over towards her.

 "Is the Lady back?" Maegor asked, exiting her bed to find water, "You should really tell Mother. She could get rid of the Lady for you,"

"I'm fine. The Lady isn't real. Mother can't do anything about it," Vanya said, mostly for her own benefit, "I just need to go for a walk... yes, I'll walk and then be back,"

"Do you want me to come with you?" Maegor asked, handing a goblet to Vanya as she swung her legs over the bed. 

Vanya shook her head, gripping her sheets as she prepared herself to touch the cold floor of her room. 

"...Are you just going to Helaena's room?" 

It was posed more as a statement than a question, though Vanya felt the need to respond as the hot flush against her cheeks managed to warm her enough to step onto the floor. Grabbing the goblet from Maegor, she greedily chugged the remaining water.