012. A Great Ball

Almost two years ago, Naenya had departed from Kings Landing. Away from her friends and family, her only constant was her personal guard, Ser Loren. Even her own dragon would disappear for extended periods of time to leave Naenya alone. In those many months, Naenya had thrust herself into the politics and depravity of Westerosi Lords and Ladies. She had been far less prepared than she had originally thought, a lost little girl wandering around in a storm that stripped sight from those caught within. As she continued to wander, she found others within the storm that seemed, not only to thrive, but could rule over those who couldn't see. She was moulded by them, shaped and fitted. As she walked onwards, she found herself regaining sight, but now with a sense of herself that she hadn't had before. 

"You look different,"

Naenya turned away from the mirror, flattening out her ball dress. 

"You do, too," Naenya acknowledged, staring down at the intruder. 

Rhaenyra broke into a grin as she held her arms out. Naenya smiled, descending from her step and making her way to her sister with open arms. Naenya always had longer legs than Rhaenyra. Ever since childhood, Naenya could consistently outpace her baby sister, ensuring the eldest daughter the first treat on the platter and the best seat beside their father. The longer legs had, for the first time, finally helped them both, closing the space between them within a second. 

"I missed you," Rhaenyra murmured into Naenya's shoulder, "Kings Landing has turned into the seven hells without you,"

Naenya chuckled, stroking Rhaenyra's hair, "Mmm, I heard you had an invasion while I was gone,"

The two broke their hug, Naenya's hands moving down to clasp her sister's hands in hers. She twirled Rhaenyra, allowing her to see her little sister fully after many years. Rhaenyra was wearing more red and black than ever before, perhaps claiming the colour so it couldn't be taken by another young lady who was now considered Targaryen. A Valyrian steel necklace had found a home on Rhaenyra's porcelain neck. Damon Targaryen's doing, no doubt, though Naenya did believe it was fitting for a dragon princess. 

"He got married," Rhaenyra said, glancing down at their clasped hands, "Father, he got married,"

"He had to, Rhaenyra. He's King," Naenya said softly, taking the pendant in her hands and feeling the cold steel for herself, "But look at you. You're so beautiful. What did you do while I was gone? Witchcraft?"

Rhaenyra smiled bitterly, her mind still plagued with the thoughts she hadn't been able to vocalise to anyone. 

"He married Alicent," Rhaenyra whispered, her eyes boring into the ground, "And Alicent agreed to marry him,"

Naenya nodded with a sigh. She had hoped Dragonstone would be a neutral resting place before she had to deal with the chaos of King's Landing. The newer version of her should have realised it wasn't Kings Landing that was chaos. It was the city's inhabitants. Inhabitants that had boarded boats and made their way to Dragonstone.