014. Potential Suitors

"I assume your tour to the Great Houses proved fruitful?" 

The ballroom was the hunting ground, and one would be naive if they didn't expect to be attacked as soon as they entered the predator's den. Naenya had foolishly hoped that she would be given some time to breathe before the lions attacked. 

She had thought her time as a senseless young girl with foolish hopes was behind her. She was obviously wrong. 

"It was very insightful, Otto Hightower," Naenya said with a smile, a smile which would fool many, "Though I am glad to be back with my sister and father, I cannot wait to sit in on council meetings and learn even more,"

The two stood just beside the allocated dance area, appearing miles apart from one another despite standing side-by-side. 

"While the day was filled with immense delight, we were all saddened by your absence during prince Aegons birth," Otto spoke casually, as though he was simply the Hand of the King informing the King's daughter of news, "The King and Queen missed a letter of congratulations from you. You did receive the letter informing of Aegons birth, correct?"

Despite what Naenya wished to believe, Otto Hightower was incredibly intelligent. Regarding politics and advice, Otto Hightower was well-suited for a position within the small council. His methodical mind and nature could have been incredibly useful to any ruler, but it was his ambition that prevented him from being truly well-suited to the position of advising a King. 

Otto Hightower, above anything, cared for power. He clawed for it. Before Aemma's death, Otto had found his way to the highest position of power possible for him. But once she died, a position opened that allowed Otto to see new possibilities for himself and his family name. Naenya knew it was Otto Hightower that had forced the young Alicent upon her father. It was his disgusting way of clawing further up the chain of power. Now that Alicent had a Targaryen son, Naenya was the only thing in the way of Otto having absolute power. Of having a Hightower on the Iron Throne, a Hightower that would listen to everything he said. 

Otto wanted the throne for himself, Naenya was sure of that, but that was impossible. But having his grandchild on the throne would be a way for Otto to be seated upon the throne himself. 

Naenya was standing in the way of absolute power for the Hightower Lord. She much enjoyed blocking the light of the Iron Throne. Existing as an Iron Wall against Otto Hightower's ambitions was almost enough reparations for her death sentence as heir. 

"I did receive such a letter, Otto," Naenya said, stopping herself from rolling her eyes, "The congratulatory letter I sent must have been lost in the storms of Storms End. But do know, I am most excited to have a younger brother,"