023. The Pride of Kings Landing

Maegor Targaryen was boisterous. His soft brown curls would bounce as he ran through the gardens of the Red Keep without care; the sun would shine down, and his hair would lighten. He was a pure, handsome young boy who brought smiles to the servants in the castle and pride to his parents, first and foremost. All lords and ladies that met Maegor silently hoped he would one day sit upon the Iron throne, and it would not be his sister Vanya. It was the general consensus around the realm, a hope that took Lords' minds off the present annoyance of the current heir to the throne. With Maegor Targaryen sitting upon the Iron Throne, they would see a new era of the Targaryen dynasty. Maegor Targaryen, who was already showing great proficiency in the long bow and sword, was under the tutelage of a diligent and cunning mother and father. Maegor Targaryen, who had the energy of hundreds of men and was already showing immense manners and chivalry, was everything the Lords wanted in an heir to the Iron Throne. 

Lords, Ladies, peasants and servants prayed to their many Gods that it would be Maegor Targaryen who sat upon the Iron Throne and not his quieter, queer sister Vanya. 

When Enya went into labour, she did so at Storms End. It was a planned decision, with less people at Storms End able to find out things they did not need to know. When Enya Targaryen went into labour, very few were allowed into the delivery room. Two wet nurses, a single maester, Elden Baratheon and his mother. The doors were sealed shut, and no sound could be heard inside the room for hours. Finally, the doors swung open, and there sat Enya Targaryen and Elden Baratheon, both holding a babe. 

Twelve years later, only those who were lucky enough to be at Storms End and in that room knew which child was born first. Only a select few knew which child would be heir to the Iron Throne after Enya's rule. 

Such unknowing, those small glimpses of hope for a male ruler, kept some of the more antagonistic male Lords in line. It only kept some of the troublesome Lords in line, and there were still many Lords who looked upon what they would call a 'true-born' heir to lead them. 

Aegon Targaryen was play-fighting with Maegor Targaryen in the centre of the courtyard, the emerald green of his clothing glimmering in the sun as the two danced for many to watch eagerly. Most servants and guards wanted Maegor to win and even a few of the knights gave the boy in dark black and crimson red encouraging words. Aegon Targaryen got none of the applause, they were likely some female servants who even hoped he'd be hit so hard he'd be confined to his room for a few days.

Maegor Targaryen was the pride of Kings Landing. Aegon Targaryen was very much not. 

Apparently, having a father who didn't care for you and a mother who was one short slip away from attempting to murder the Princess of Dragonstone did not result in a very reliable, upstanding young child being raised. 

Still, many would prefer an idiotic boy with a slouch over an even-tempered woman any day. That boy was, however, her brother and no matter how hard the masses would try, there was no way the Lords of Westeros could steal that advantage from her.