48.

Kenzie had her head laid over on Kol's shoulder with a smile on her face waiting for her mom to answer the video call so that they could tell her about the engagement.

"Hi mama" Melissa McCall smiled at the two of them "Hi sweetheart, what are you guys doing?" Kenzie grins at her mom "not much just hanging out" she looks over at Kol "have we even left this room more than once today?" Kol chuckles looking down at her "I think maybe once this morning"

Kenzie laughs making sure to keep her left hand out of her mother's sight "there is a reason that I called you at this particular moment mama" the woman smiles at her daughter "and what would that be?" Kenzie grins at her and grabs Kol's showing Melissa their interlocked hands with hers facing the camera.

Melissa smiles slightly teary-eyed "My baby girl is getting married..... I knew it was coming at some point, I mean the boy did ask me first but that doesn't make me any more ready for it to happen... you went and grew up on me"

Kenzie smiles "I love you, Mama..... I'm always gonna be your baby girl, no matter how much I grow up on you" Melissa smiles "I love you too sweetie and I know, I have to get ready for work but I'm happy for the two of you"

"Okay Love you, mama, I'll call you later and we'll talk more" 

"Love you too Kenzie, I'll talk to you later" the call ends and Kol smiles at her "I love how close you and your mom are"

Kenzie looks at him with a smile "growing up all I had was my mom, my dad was a drunk, he was never really there he always working or drinking or drinking at work so my mom was all I had which make us closer, I was 15 when she kicked him out, Scott was 7 and our dad came home drunk again which was nothing new but mom and dad started fighting and Scott got knocked down the stairs he had a concussion and no memory of the incident, it was an accident but the damage was done and that was the last straw for mom she kicked him out and they got divorced, he stopped drinking after that but we were never close, I mean I guess the damage was already done there too I was old enough to know what was going but my brother wasn't. Scott and I spent time with him after he moved out and Scott lived him with for a while then he moved to San Fransisco and that was the end of it we haven't seen him since and I've only spoken to him once since then and that was right before he moved to San Fransico and we fought and then he left. So like I said my mom was the only parental figure I had so that's why we're so close"

Kol wraps an arm around her shoulder and pulls her more into his side and kisses her on the side of the head "do you want a relationship with your dad?" 

Kenzie bites her lip for a second "I don't know..... I did when I was younger I wanted the type of relationship that the other girls my age had with their dads but I never got that"

"it's not too late Kenz if it's what you want" then he holds her phone out for her to grab "call him and see where it goes" 

She smiles and takes the phone and leans over kissing him "see how it goes right?" 

Kol smiles at her and nods "exactly"

Kenzie takes a deep breath before standing up "I'm just gonna do this out on the balcony" 

He nods at her "alright darling" Kenzie steps out on the balcony and scrolls to the contact and her finger hovers over the call button for about 15 seconds before she presses it.

It rings four times before there's an answer "Hello?" 

Kenzie blows out a breath "Hi Dad." 

There's a pause "Kenzie?" 

She bites her lip "yeah dad it's me" 

He sounds a little surprised "is everything alright?" 

She can't help but smile slightly "yeah everything's fine" 

"what made you want to call me?" 

Kenzie sighs "I guess just reliving some old memories and it made me realize something we never had a proper father/daughter relationship and I know now that the fault is on both sides, I'm not blaming you for that... I know the last time I talked to you wasn't pretty but I was a teenager just a kid really and I didn't know what I was doing but I'm not a kid anymore and I want you to be in my life dad"

"You really mean that Kenz?" 

She smiles tears welling up in her eyes "yeah dad I really mean that I want to build that proper father/daughter relationship" 

"I want that too Kenzie." 

She smiles "I'm glad you feel that way too or else I would have just made a complete fool of myself"

Kol opens the door "how's it going?" Kenzie smiles and shoots him a thumbs up "Bekah is at the door and she sounds kinda pissed" 

Kenzie looks at him "dad hang on just a sec" 

"okay?" 

She slightly pulls the phone away but her dad can still hear what's being said "oh uhh yeah that's at you.... she knows"

Kol gives her a look "Kenz!!! when did you even tell her?" 

Kenzie smirks at him "you were in the shower and I texted our girl chat we got way off-topic by Mari threatening to rip Nik's spleen out through his nose if he didn't stop staring at her which lead to Mari ranting and Vina encouraging her to do it anyway I'm getting off-topic again then I sent them a picture and that is when Bex sent a big ass paragraph about how you ruined her 3 weeks of planning, so yeah good luck with your sister I'm getting back to my phone call."

"Sorry about that dad" 

There's a chuckle "it's okay your friend there seems rather violent" 

Kenzie laughs "yeah Mari gets like that sometimes, she's got a temper that one but we love her anyway"

"I've got an early day tomorrow so I better go but I'll talk to you soon?" 

Kenzie smiles "yeah and before you go I just thought you might want to know that I'm getting married" 

"When?" 

"We don't have to plans made yet, it only happened this morning but I'll let you know when I know more."

"I wasn't expecting that but it seems congratulations are in order" 

Kenzie smiles "thanks, dad... I better go and save him from his sister Bex is rather vicious when she wants to be especially when you piss her off like he did this morning" 

"Bye Kenzie I'll talk to you soon" 

"Bye dad talk to you later" then she hangs up the phone smiling.

***
The whole thing with Kenzie's dad was not originally planned it just sort of happened while I was writing so I went with it and I like the way it turned out with Kenzie having a better relationship with her dad.

AHHHHHH it's almost over and I wanna cry but this is not the last we will see of these two once the book is complete.

5 chapters left.