CH01 BROZILLA OR BRIDEZILLA?

Akshara’s dark almond eyes took in the beauty of the outdoor space that was set up with flowers and candles combined with beautiful and flowing silk fabric for the engagement party. It was a beautiful evening, and the breeze slightly eased her anxiety that had built up as they got closer to the time when the guests were about to arrive.

She and her small yet mighty team had handled many weddings the past few years since she started her business but none to this scale nor the type of events that needed unique themes and setup. This would be one of the first weddings that constituted more pre-wedding events with a major weekend wedding planned two months after the engagement party.

Akshara let out a deep breath, relieved that she was able to meet her client, Anisha’s requests for the evening but knew the real challenges were still to come. Anisha was a young interior designer who had a unique requirement for her wedding unlike any other client Akshara had worked with, which only excited her further although nerve-wracking.

“Akshara, Mr Birla is looking for you.” Aarohi, her best friend, roommate, and her production manager said into her earpiece.

“Oh,” Akshara looked around and found Anisha’s father in deep conversation with his mother.

“I see him, he is talking to Anisha’s grandmother. I will check in with him once they are done conversing.”

She heard Aarohi giggle. “The younger, Mr Birla. Anisha’s brother and he is not a happy camper.”

Akshara turned to scan the small group of family members who were gathered at the event.

“I don’t see him. Where is he?”

“Akshara?”

A deep male voice came from behind, and she turned around. She lifted her chin and her eyes met the deep brown eyes of the tall man who stood in front of her. His eyes matched those of Anisha, and she knew he had to be her brother.

“Hello, Mr Birla. Nice to meet you.”

She held her hand out, and there was a moment of hesitation before he reached out to take her hand in his.

“Abhimanyu.” His tone was curt.

“How can I help, sir?”

“What is going on?” His question threw Akshara off, but it would not be the first time a client was asking such a question.

“Sir, is everything okay?” She looked around the space wondering if something was wrong.

“No. It’s not. Your job is to make sure the events run smoothly but not at the cost of Anisha feeling stressed about her outfit to the point she has tears in her eyes.”

“Oh… I’m sorry, sir, but Anisha was the one who had chosen the outfit to wear tonight.”

“And you told her she could not change the outfit?” He sounded pissed.

She took a deep breath.