CH02 LET'S PLAY

Akshara handed the car keys to the valet attendant as she stepped out of the car in front of Abhimanyu’s office building. It had been three days since the engagement party, and she spent some extra time to present the plan and logistics for the upcoming events to Anisha’s brother.

He didn’t care for the party themes or the type of party, but he wanted to ensure the guests were treated well and things didn’t go wrong when it came to food and entertainment.

At first, she was annoyed that she had to explain everything all over again, but she knew it wouldn’t hurt to explain everything and get him off her back. Maybe, he will let her manage the events the way they were planned if she answered all his questions and addressed his concerns.

She followed the instructions to his office located on the top floor and stepped out of the elevator when it stopped. The doors opened to an open area that was as big as the one in the lobby, and the glass walls offered a beautiful view of the city as the sun set over the hills at a distance.

“The view is amazing at this time of the day,” the voice of a woman brought her eyes to the large, circular desk that was set to one side of the lobby.

“You must be Akshara.”

Akshara smiled at the older lady who seemed to be in her fifties as she approached the desk.

“Yes, and I’m here to see Mr Birla.”

The older lady let out a laugh.

“Don’t call him that, sweetheart. He is not a fan of the formal way of addressing people. You can call him by his first name, and he prefers that.”

And I prefer to call him Mr Birla, even if it annoys him.

Akshara bit back a smile and said, “I will remember that.”

“Can I get you something to drink? Abhimanyu should be done with his meeting shortly.”

“Thank you for asking. I’m fine.”

Akshara sat on one of the chairs that gave her the best view of the city. As she looked at the tall buildings, her thoughts went back to her search to find her family. A connection her instincts told her she had out there, but she had not been successful in finding them the past couple of years even after hiring multiple private investigators.

She grew up in an orphanage in a different state and had moved to this city for work, but she longed to go back to the area where she grew up in hopes of finding a relative if someone was out there.

Akshara looked up when a door to her right opened, and her eyes met the dark brown ones of the man she wasn’t looking forward to conversing with but had to get it over with. She knew the areas where he would have concerns with her plan, and she came prepared, or so she hoped.

She was surprised when he gave her a nod and said, “I’m sorry to keep you waiting, but I will need a few more minutes.”

“Not a problem, Mr Birla,” she said it out of habit and saw the look of disappointment in his eyes that triggered a thrill inside her, a cheap one. She realized how much he disliked being addressed formally.