CH05 HOW DID HE KNOW??

“Guys, make sure everyone is seated for the program. Absolutely no lights inside other than the spotlights on the stage and no movements during the program,” Akshara emphasized as she spoke into the microphone.

“This sounds like protocol for the opera,” one of her technicians teased, making her smile.

“Aarohi, do we have all the key family members?”

“Yes, everyone checked in, and we can start the program once everyone is seated.”

A few minutes later, Akshara was backstage talking to the performers when Aarohi buzzed her.

“Akshara, Anisha’s brother is not here.”

“What? Did he not check in? I saw him when he arrived.”

“Yes, he checked in, but his seat is empty. I don’t see him around.”

Aarohi was starting to panic.

“Aarohi, stick to the program. Close the doors and have one of the camera folks to sit in Anisha’s brother’s spot and record the show from that vantage point.”

“But what about Brozilla?”

Akshara thought for a moment. “Find a screen to block the light from the door. I have a feeling he left the party for a phone call.”

“What could be more important that his sister’s wedding event?”

Aarohi grumbled.

“Aarohi, it’s not our job to judge. Don’t forget that her brother employs thousands of people like us, so we, of all people, need to be understanding.”

“Whatever. You go look for him. We need to start the program before our youngest performers fall asleep.” Aarohi laughed.

“Okay, get started as planned.” Akshara walked away from the back of the stage and smiled at the security as she stepped out. “Please make sure the doors stay closed while the show is going on.”

Akshara walked along the long hallway of the hotel, where they had planned the meet and greet of the to-be bride and groom’s family. The show that was about to start was a skit that was performed by a cast selected to match how Anisha and her fiancé looked from their childhood to adulthood.

She could not believe Anisha’s brother was going to miss it.

She didn’t have his phone number and wished she had a way to reach him. She walked to the main lobby of the hotel looking for him and was relieved to see him standing by the patio doors speaking on the phone.

He looked at her as she approached him while speaking on the phone. She gestured him to go with her as he continued to speak on the phone.

“Get everyone out of the building and shut it down. Make sure everyone is accounted for. I will leave as soon as I am able to.”