Chapter 20 - What Makes a Good Day

After releasing hands, though not the promise, Link smiled at her and doing so brought a certain lightness and warmth to his heart. They made a promise, yes, and those meant a lot to him. But what really struck him was that she had offered. She had offered up space in her home for him, all because she could see through him, because she understood that they wanted what each other had.

They were opposites, but not true opposites, not really. They both clearly had a desire for something more - Link, to save Hyrule, and her, to live for herself and no one else. They wanted adventure, but so too stability. They wanted freedom, but structure. They wanted to live lives worth living, truly and completely. He wanted the choice to leave this lifestyle, the knightly duties and the responsibilities, and the fighting - all of it. She had made the choice to enter this lifestyle, but without all the pomp and circumstance, without the rules and regulations, without fear but with a heart full of hope...

He'd got to thinking then, truthfully and honestly, of fulfilling that promise. It was an enticing thought, that's why he'd made it in the first place. It wasn't just being able to live a normal life, it was the well-intentions behind it. She'd cared enough to offer. They were traveling partners yes, of course - but they weren't nearly as close as he thought they could be, not yet.

It was strange, no? It had to be, to offer up space in your home for someone who is still somewhat adjacent to a stranger.

Further, it wasn't just to be able to live a normal life, it was doing it with her. He trusted her. He... he cared about her, truly. He wouldn't be traveling with her if he didn't. He wouldn't have agreed to let her come with him if he didn't. He wouldn't be training her if he didn't. Something about her spoke deeply to him, cutting through the guards he had put up around his heart and his whole being.

To fulfill his end of the promise would be easy. He would grant her the adventure of a lifetime. He would make this all worth it for her. But to get to the point of his life where he might get to be there for her to fulfill her end, to allow him to live a normal life with her...

Link sighed, and would have been worried for her reaction if not for the fact that she was fast asleep. How long was he lost in his mind, ruminating in the deepest recesses of himself? He'd thought of a lot, and he could only hope he hadn't missed anything that she'd said, important or not.

Still, it seemed he wouldn't know until she woke up. He certainly didn't want to wake her, and really, why would he? There was no point. No, certainly not, not while it was still raining steadily.

But when the rain cleared, the last few drops falling to the grateful earth, the steady and soothing sound of rainfall slowing to nothing, he stretched his limbs out before him. He got to his feet and poked his head out beyond the edge of the mat, their makeshift roof, and gazed upwards. Above there were only clouds, catching what little moonlight there was left.

He ducked back beneath the canopy and sat back on his heels, wondering what to do now. He'd let the fire die out naturally, there was no point doing anything about it now. But what about her? She looked so comfy, lazed back against the rock, and she was so soundly asleep he didn't want to wake her, even now. But they had to get back to their camp, and they had to return to the journey at hand.

Deciding what he'd do, he whistled lowly, calling Epona to them. Dutifully, she trotted over, nickering happily. Link positioned himself by (Y/n), then slowly and carefully, so carefully, gathered her into his arms. He was shocked when she didn't even so much as stir as he took her into his arms, and rather, when he emerged from under their shelter and stood up, she seemed to cozy up against him.

She shifted but only once in the whole time he maneuvered her up onto Epona's back and he followed, and it was to set her cheek against his shoulder. He swallowed a little involuntarily, unsure of what else to do but hold her close and get them all back to camp safely.