Chapter 40

"Before we head to the Domain," Link started. Just the mere thought of postponing saving the world made you want to groan in annoyance, but you suppressed it as best you could, before continuing to listen to him, "there's a maze or something up northeast, and I think we should go check it out."

At his mention of a maze, you looked up at him with interest. He was looking down at his slate, with the map pulled up. He turned it so you could see and you looked where he was pointing. There was, indeed a giant maze that looked about a half's day ride from where you currently were, which wasn't that bad. "Look at the size of it," you said, approaching the slate to get a better look, "that's a labyrinth, not just a maze."

"Well, same difference," he said. He met your eyes and smiled at you. "Can we go?"

With a sigh, you nodded your head. "So long as we don't get completely lost in there, I think we can, with plenty of time to save the world after."

Link grinned. "Great! Let's go now!"

"Now?" You began to whine, having just set up camp for the evening. You looked around at everything you had just unpacked to get the bedding ready.

"Yes, now! Nothing like a late night ride to the coast!"

You leaned over again and glanced at his map again. "We're heading to the Akkala Region, right?" He nodded. "I heard there's another research lab up there. Maybe they'll have information to help us out there."

"We'll stop there first, then go to the Labyrinth. Now that I actually look, there are actually two others in Hyrule. I've never noticed that before."

"Well, we'll go to that one first, and if there's anything good, we can head to the others when we get close to them or even after you're done kicking Ganon into oblivion."

"That sounds good," he said. "So what are we waiting for? Let's get going!"

You suppressed the urge to roll your eyes at him and instead just helped the hero pack everything up into the saddlebags again.

---

The landscape before you seemed to change right before your eyes. One moment, you were facing rolling, grassy foothills that led to Death Mountain in the north and rocky plains to the southeast, headed towards Zora's Domain. After just a few hours of riding northeast, towards the Akkala Region, the land seemed to forget that summer was approaching once more in Hyrule, as it remained stuck in fall.

A lot of Hyrule faced very moderate, mild seasons. There were parts that were always warm, like areas surrounding Death Mountain and the Gerudo Desert, and parts that always faced stinging cold, like the Snowfields and the tops of mountain ranges that stretched into the sky. During summer, the rest of the lands just got a bit warmer and during winter, the opposite was true, but there was nothing too crazy about the seasons in Hyrule.

Spring seemed to last the whole year round, and maybe that was just one of the blessings the Goddesses had blessed the land with. But Akkala, so it seemed, was stuck in autumn, just as the Snowfields were trapped in winter and the Desert would always be wrapped in heat. You had never seen a proper autumn before, and the sight of leaves on the ground, layered in beautiful shades of red and gold, was truly a sight to see.

Even Link seemed to appreciate the beauty of the land, something that he didn't usually take the time to do. The horses slowed to a walk as the leaf-covered road began to slope upwards. Link whistled, taking in the sights. Squirrels dashed to and fro, skirting across the leaf-littered forest floor. Birds flitted through the tree branches, chirping to themselves.