Chapter 43

"So, where did you learn to fix up wounds?"

"Where? At home, I suppose. Pan was always getting hurt as a kid, so I asked my mother to teach me how to patch up cuts and make sure he didn't, you know, die while we were out playing."

"He got hurt so much that you became a natural at it?"

"Not quite, no," you said with a laugh as you wound the bandage around his bicep. "He didn't get hurt so often and so badly that I needed to patch him up – though I knew how to help, I'd usually end up crying and panicking. It wasn't until I was a bit older that I used to start caring for the younger kids when they were too afraid of going home and getting in trouble because they got hurt." You leaned back after tying off the bandage and fixed his sleeve, tugging it back down his arm. "They usually only had small cuts and scrapes. You, on the other hand..." You trailed off and looked at him pointedly.

Link grinned unabashedly, not at all ashamed to admit how much he got hurt... and usually in ways he could have easily avoided. "I gotta keep you in practice," he said, pressing a quick kiss to your cheek before getting up and stretching. "Thanks for keeping me in tip top shape!"

"Like I have a choice," you laughed, accepting his offer of help and taking his hand. He helped you up and you headed over to where the horses were tethered and were lazily grazing. "You'd complain if I didn't."

"You're good at ignoring my whining," he countered, picking up Nayru's saddle as you adjusted her bridle.

"That's true," you mused. "But my patience can only last for so long, you know."

He sent you a cheeky grin that you couldn't help but return. You finished tacking up the horses and after a few more minutes, headed out onto the road again.

---

The road leading to the Domain was not an unfamiliar one to you. You spent several weeks camped at different points along the road, waiting for Link. Of course, you didn't know it at the time, but he had been wandering aimlessly, searching for you.

To be standing here now, at the very edge of one of the foothills leading to the valley in which the Zora's home, felt weird to you. For so long you fought here alone, asking each merchant that passed by if they had seen your boy, but they never did.

Well, Beedle had, but he wasn't of much more help than that. All that encounter had given you was an update on his well-being, because as of a week before you saw Beedle, Link had, so he had been alive.

And that had been the most momentous day of the several-month period in which you and Link were looking for each other.

Nayru snorted under you and you snapped back into reality, only to find that Link was waiting patiently on Epona a few yards ahead of you. "We're so close," Link said with a smile. "Don't get cold feet now."

You laughed quietly. "I'm not having cold feet," you explained as you kicked into Nayru's sides, "just got lost in thought for a minute."

"What were you thinking about?"

When you caught up, Link urged Epona into a walk and you continued forwards. "I was thinking about the last time I was here."

"When you were waiting for me?"

"Yeah," you nodded. "It gets colder the closer you get to the Domain. And the rain..."

"It wasn't always like that, right? I remember talking to some old folks and they told me about how their parents would vacation at the Domain. People wouldn't vacation there if it was always raining, would they?"