Chapter 36 - Never in a Century

Even after dancing, and after dinner, and after packing up, and after heading out, it continued to rain. With hoods up and about our heads, we departed from the village and headed off, heading on ever towards Rito Village.

We did not travel far that night. About as soon as dusk blanketed the land, we found a relatively dry spot to set up camp. Into a dense forest we went and beneath the canopy of a large cluster of trees we ducked. Link, ever valiant, offered to go round up some Korok leaves and some branches so we could put together a shelter. With my back pressed close to the trunk of a tree, only just staying out of the rain's path, I started to work.

My fingers worked without needing to be instructed, weaving a pattern sturdy and strong as though the act itself was as easy as breathing. And by now, surely it was starting to. Muscle memory was certainly kicking in as I watched the show before me, my hands occupied but my mind elsewhere.

In this cooler air, it seemed that now that the sun had set, all the animals had turned in. Though the leaves rustled with the wind's adjusting, the forest was rather noiseless. And though I was hard at work, Link was hard at play.

That was the show I mentioned.

Fireflies came out to dance with him, playful and teasing, and from watching, I began to make sense of their patterns and silent song. Their melodies were silent, as they were, and their dances were chaotically choreographed. Some blinked more rapidly than others, and others were content to drift about in the wind and get picked up by little swirls of air.

Link was leaping from puddle to puddle, muddying his boots and soiling his pants, but he didn't seem to mind at all. Perhaps I was still far too accustomed to more sheltered, more clean living - while he played, I just couldn't help but think of how much work it would take to clean those clothes of his.

Ah, well. That was a problem for another time, evidently. He was far too engrossed in playing and dancing to pay attention to anything else, and I did not have it in me to tell him to stop. Why would I, really? He was having so much fun, it would be cruel to pull him from it now, not that I thought he would listen even if I did say it.

His joy was infectious, though perhaps it was too weak a word; he seemed utterly at peace here, and perfectly content, and effortlessly blissful. He was all things wonderful in one youthful package, with bright peals of laughter bubbling up in his belly and alighting butterflies in my own. His colors looked ethereal here - the blue of his tunic, matched by the blue of his earrings and that of his eyes - were standing out proudly and brilliantly in this environment.

The rain dulled the air and made it bleaker. Clouds were weighed down by rain and settled against the ground, and I could see well into the forest around us, but not too far before everything dulled and blurred into a mess of muddy color. But Link, with his blond hair and the beautiful blues of his ensemble, was beautiful here.

He was... Er. Ahem.

Alright, fine. I'll admit it. He was beautiful here.

I looked down at my work just as I finished thinking that thought, and I tried to distract myself before my heart could realize what I had said.

And of course, that was when Link remembered that I was there.

"(Y/n)," he called excitedly, dashing over quickly. When I raised the woven mat up before me I heard Link chuckle, and I heard his rapid footsteps slow, trying not to splash me. When I was sure he was stopped, I lowered the mat, and found myself looking right up into his gently smiling face. Now that he was met by my gaze, his smile grew and he crouched down just before me, if only so he could lean closer. "Come dance with me!"