Chapter 28

If there was any aspect of your journey that you dreaded the most, it was climbing up towers. In order to unlock more pieces of his map on his slate, Link had to climb up these mysterious towers that touched the sky and glowed orange. Most of them were relatively easy to get to, but some of them had been guarded or, well, more like swarmed with monsters.

Link had spotted one far off in the snowfields and so you were on your way there. It was still quite a ride away, even if you took the horses at a gallop. You didn't want to push them that hard, however, so you and Link were taking your detour nice and slow. When you made it to the tower, you'd loop back around to the village and take the marked road where the treasure supposedly was.

For now, though, you enjoyed the scenery as you rode. You were comfortable in the saddle, surprisingly enough, and maybe that had to do with the absolute gorgeousness of the day. The sun dipped in and out from behind clouds and the wind was pleasantly cool. The road wound through the foothills of far-off mountains and was quite rocky on the edges, but the horses didn't seem to mind this so much.

There weren't any monsters to be seen on the ride so far, but that was until you rounded a corner and saw a large encampment just off the side of the road. Unfortunately, there was no time for you to duck behind cover, because one of their three archers had spotted you and had already sounded the alarm.

You took out your spear and spurred Nayru into a run, charging through the camp. The Bokoblins on the ground dove for cover but you were too quick with your spear. You managed to, in your first sweep of the camp's grounds, kill five of the monsters. You slowed Nayru and leapt off of your mare who whinnied valiantly and pawed the ground, evidently pleased with herself, when she came to a stop. Nayru trotted off with her head high over to Epona who was already busying herself with a patch of grass.

The Bokoblins you hadn't been able to reach had either retreated to their small tower in the tree or had been on the archer posts. Link had taken care of two of the archers and was just finishing off the final one when you raced past him, sword and shield at the ready, chasing the red creatures up the steps.

Upon reaching the first landing, you saw four red Bokoblins. You were sure that this would be no problem, until a white Bokoblin came down the steps and joined the fray. As you parried a blow from a red one's club, you noticed Link run by you and up the steps. You had seen a Moblin up there as you rode Nayru, stabbing monsters as you went, so you knew that that was where he was going.

You couldn't focus on what Link was doing, however. You had your own issues to deal with. The red Bokoblins were putting up an excellent fight, but not good enough. You parried and dodged, bashing into them with your shield, and dancing around them. You stabbed a Bokoblin through the heart and turned around- and in that same moment you kicked a Bokoblin off of the landing and to the ground below. You heard their dying screeches and increased the rapidity of your attacks to try to finish off the rest quickly.

One of the remaining two red Bokoblins had picked up a small bow and was struggling to line up a shot. You didn't even have to dodge the arrow for it to miss you. As you sliced off the arm of the other red Bokoblin, fending off the white one as you did so, you heard the unmistakable sound of a Moblin being slain. You could see, out of the corner of your eyes, its dead corpse fall to the ground from the landing above the one you were on.

Link ran down the steps to check on you. Seeing that you were still fighting, he grew angry. He only dealt with a few measly archers and a rather stupid Moblin, who barely knew to swing the club it wielded, and here was the bulk of the camp, fighting you. He knew you could fend for yourself, he was certain that you didn't need his help in the slightest, but he couldn't help the anger bubbling up in his chest.