Chapter 37

You didn't know what to say as you stood in the doorway of your old home, faced with your family and someone who had grown to become family to you. They evidently didn't know what to say either, so your mother acted on her feelings and hurried to you. She took you into a hug and you wrapped your arms around her, having missed her as well.

This was a much sweeter reunion than last time already, because you had returned to them by your own want. "I can't believe you left again," your mother mumbled into your ear.

"I'm not sorry for leaving," you said. "I had to go."

She pulled away from you slightly to send you a stern look. "You did not have to leave."

"Mom," you said, "you don't understand-"

"Of course I don't," she interrupted. "I don't know what it's like to make my mother worried sick by leaving unannounced with a stranger for months on end."

You looked at her with a dumbfounded look on your face. "You ran off to marry dad," you said. "That doesn't count?"

She huffed. "That was different." Her eyes softened and she sighed. She traced a finger over the cut on your cheek. It was nearly gone but clearly it hadn't gone away entirely yet. "I was just so worried about you."

"I'm sorry for making you worry. But I know how to take care of myself."

"The cut on your cheek tells me differently, but give me a minute and I'll get something for it." She stepped away from you and once she was out of the way you realized your father had been waiting for his turn. He was standing a few feet away, and once your mother walked away, he held his arms out to you. You stepped into them, accepting his hug and giving him one in return.

"How are you feeling?"

"I feel fine," you answered honestly. "I came home because I missed you guys after being on my own for so long."

Your father pressed a kiss to the top of your head. "I'm glad you're back- we both are. Don't worry about your mother; she's just a bit frazzled at the moment."

"I can tell," you said with a smile.

You pulled away from each other just as your mother returned with a simple bandage. She placed it over your cheek gently, then stepped away. Pan stepped up to you next, offering you a simple smile. You got closer to him, expecting a hug, but he ruffled your hair instead. "I'm still mad at you for not buying any of my crabs," he said with a sly smile.

You rolled your eyes. "If they were of any value, I would have. You had some low-quality crabs, so I didn't want to waste my money on you."

He held a hand over his heart and pouted, acting as if you had personally offended him. "(Y/n), I'm shocked. Siblings are supposed to support one another. What if I died out there, because I had no money left to buy food since you refused to buy my wares?"

"I suppose we'll never find out, because you're still here," you said with a laugh.

You looked over your brother's shoulder to see Link still standing awkwardly off to the side, looking at anything other than you. You frowned and went to say something when your attention was stolen by your family again. Your mother crossed her arms, and you winced because you knew what was coming now. The pleasantries were over.

"Why did you take off again, (Y/n)?" Your mother asked, and you knew that this was a question that, no matter what you answered with, it would be wrong.

You took a breath before answering. "If it's my most honest answer you want, then it was because I wanted to find Link."

"You left without any warning, in the middle of the night, and-"