Chapter 30

Link sneezed once more from behind you and you heard him sniff. You turned your head to look back at him and watched with pursed lips and a knowing look on your face as he wiped his red nose with a rag. His blue eyes met yours and he smiled from behind the rag that obscured most of it. Your face turned to one of concern as his smile faded and you saw how miserable he looked. "Do you want to stop somewhere?"

He shook his head. "We should keep going. We've spent long enough wandering; it's about time we got going towards the next Divine Beast."

"Your health is more important at the moment, Link."

"I'm fine; I'm just sneezing a little bit."

Your reply was interrupted by another sneeze.

"That small cold could turn into something worse if you keep pushing yourself," you said with a frown.

"I'm fine," he insisted as he fought another sneeze.

"You're not. I told you to wear more clothes while up in the snowfields, but of course you didn't listen to me."

"It was your idea to play in the snow."

"It was also my idea to put another coat on you and some actual gloves."

Link smiled at you and it was one that let you know that he was just joking and that he knew that you were right. You felt satisfaction at knowing that you were right like you always were, but you still had to deal with a sick Link. You hadn't had to deal with a sick Link yet- at least, not this bad. Over the course of the journey thus far Link had gotten a small cold, and you had gotten sick for a few days as well but in both cases they were nothing major- just small head colds that really were just mild inconveniences.

Link looked downright miserable at this point in time and whether that was because he actually felt that way or if he was simply overreacting like he usually did, you weren't sure. Either way, you felt awful. You did indeed have the idea to play in the snow, and look what had happened. You had basically gotten him sick. If he was mad at you or blamed you in any way, he didn't show it, however. This you were grateful for, at least. You only had to deal with your own guilt for now, without the weight of his blame.

At the sound of his coughs, you pulled back gently on Nayru's reins and stopped the mare. She snorted and pawed the snow-covered path as she waited for your next command. Epona naturally came to stop beside you and shook her head to get rid of the snow that had dropped into her mane from the tree branches above you.

Link looked at you with a curious look on his face and you could see how tired he was. He had dark bags under his eyes and they looked watery despite the bitter wind that made your own pair dry; he was visibly shivering and though his cheeks were bright red, the rest of his face was pale. "We'll stop at the first stable we see," you said, the words coming out as firmly as you could make them. There would be no fighting with you on this- you were going to make him rest until he was better.

He went to argue with you but you sent him a stern look and unwrapped your scarf from around your neck. You reached over and wound it around him instead, making sure that it was good and tight. You were sure to cover his mouth and cheeks with it, hoping to keep most of his face warm if you could. Taking off your hood next, you clasped it around him and ignored the goosebumps that rapidly sprang up under your tunic and thin undershirt.

Link went to protest but thought better of it evidently, as he simply sighed and let you finish your work. Satisfied, you kicked into Nayru's sides and the started forward again. You picked up the pace into a trot, wanting to cover as much ground as you could before nightfall.