Chapter 44

Prince Sidon was an interesting character, to say the least. What he had in his impressive size and stature was directly contrasted by his bright, dutiful personality. He was cheerful, even though the situation of his people was dire. Each time he crossed paths with you and Link, he cheered and flashed that smile of his – that damn smile – that made you smile too and made you believe that everything really was going to be ok.

And he had complete faith in Link, despite not knowing for sure who he was. That much had surprised Link – to have someone else believe in him so completely, so unwaveringly.

Link did not expect a warm welcome into the Domain. No one did. The Zora did not trust people; not since the Calamity. There were a few exceptions, of course, but for the most part, they were isolated in their Domain. Nothing came to bother them, and they didn't seek anyone out. This was because they had their own problems.

If the Zora people shutting everyone else out of the Domain wasn't bad enough for their tourist activity, the Divine Beast certainly was. There was no doubt that the Domain was beautiful, but the constant rain and heavy humidity made it almost unbearable, and you'd only just gotten here.

And now, according to Sidon, there were chances of flooding. And that was certainly not good.

But the prince was so hopeful; he truly believed that Link could help him and his people. But the King, his right-hand-man, and the rest of the Zora weren't so sure. Of course, it had taken a while for you to even be let into the city. The Zora people had been adamant that you did not need to be in the city. Hell, they didn't even want Link there. But Sidon was steadfast and declared proudly that you were to be let into the city.

The king had been cordial enough, though he didn't speak to you directly. The king remembered Link from a century ago, who flushed and admitted that he didn't remember the king.

"The Hylian Champion?" Sidon has interrupted. He looked at Link with wide eyes, saying, "You can't mean THE Link? THAT Champion?!" He then suddenly beamed, and Link's blush darkened. "So that's where I have heard your name before! What a fateful coincidence that we should cross paths!"

You looked at Link, looking for signs of distress. From your talk earlier, you knew how he felt about the life he had been given, the title he had placed on him from birth, the one he had been molded to fit into. But Link seemed hopeful too, and you smiled. It seemed the prince's good nature affected him, too.

"I cannot believe it," King Dorephan said, "The Hylian Champion, Link, has appeared before us... We have met numerous times; I'll have you know." The king sighed contentedly. "Ah... so many memories! My mind is overflowing with nostalgia, my friend." The king chuckled, a deep noise that resounded through the throne room. "I had heard a terrible rumor that you had fallen in combat, but it appears you managed to survive. Extraordinary!"

"I... I lost my memory," Link said with a frown.

At this the king leaned forward, his imposing figure making Link seem tiny. But he kept his head up and met the king's gaze. "Come again? You say you have lost your memory?" He leaned back. "But surely you must remember my precious daughter, Mipha, yes? You do, do you not?"

"Only her name, sir."

The king sighed again, a dejected one. He cast his gaze away from Link, who took a deep breath. You knew that even now this was a touchy subject for him. But you didn't see a need to interject. Not yet. Out of the corner of your eye you saw Sidon's gaze drop too, but only slightly. A small frown made its way to the prince's face.

"I cannot believe it... Have you truly forgotten my dear Mipha as well? You and Mipha were so close... Yet you do not remember her? Young hero... Please look upon the beauty of Zora's Domain." The king gestured to the statue in the center of the city of a beautiful Zora holding a trident. "Do you see that statue? Does gazing upon Mipha's immortalized form still not jog your memory? Well... Perhaps your memory will return with time. I dearly hope so."