Chapter 40 - Sudden Meeting: Part 1

Link always had been a sleepy boy, that was for sure - but with the day's efforts, and the overwhelming emotions of our reunion, and the fact that at last his mind and body were finally at rest after so many days being at constant work, he was beginning to feel his exhaustion and more than anything else, he was starting to feel it.

When at last we disentangled from our embrace, it was in a manner very reluctant and very slow, but I led him towards the fire so that he might further shake the chill from his bones without letting my mind linger on the reason for such reluctance.

Onto a log I guided him to sit, and I crouched down before the fire to make sure the meal I was making myself wasn't yet charred or burnt. When I was sure that it would be alright for another moment, I disappeared into the stable only to reemerge a few moments later with a blanket draped over my arms. I stood behind him and ignored his quiet protests as I draped the blanket around his shoulders.

"Hush," I said gently, rubbing his shoulders from over the blanket. "You were up in the clouds for days on end; you're cold, whether you think you are or not. I'm not stupid enough to actually believe you, by the way." He wisely chose not to protest, and I smiled warmly. "The food is almost ready. As soon as it's done, I'll-"

"How many portions did you make?"

"Hm? Only one, it was meant to be my dinner but-"

"Let's split it," Link said.

"No, I had a big lunch, I can make myself something later if I get hungry."

"Let's split it," Link said again, insisting on it.

"I know you," I said softly. "And I know how much you love your food - specifically, this food. Is that maybe why you came back just now?"

"I could smell it from up the road," Link said almost sheepishly, and I smiled. "It got me to walk a little faster, anyway. I knew it was yours."

The strange sense of sentiment of it all had my heart aflutter, and I did what I could to keep my smile well-trained and calm, all things considered. "That's exactly why I want you to have it, Link," I pressed, and he looked puzzled. "You walked here. You smelled it and did not run - that's not like you, and you only didn't do it because you're too injured and exhausted to do anything more than walk. Isn't that right?"

"Well-"

"Give me some credit, at least," I said with a laugh. "I know you. So just let me do this, alright? I'll make something for myself later, I promise."

He considered my words for a moment, then sighed a little, defeated. "Alright," he said, clearly resigned to his current fate. "Fine."

When he relented, I finally got him to eat, and I sat nearby and chatted to him about nothing in particular - it was just to fill the silence, and it was just to help pass the time. I talked about what I'd done while he was away, how the horses were doing, what the chatter was around here. He listened attentively, nodding along and truly paying attention. He even paused in his scarfing down of the meal to ask questions and make comments.

In this way, time passed quickly and all too soon, the food was gone and just about as soon as I took the bowl from him, he yawned. His eyes squeezed shut cutely, his nose scrunched up, and it was perhaps the biggest yawn I'd ever seen of a Hylian - it was more reminiscent of a puppy tuckered out from an afternoon of play, actually. I chuckled a little and after clearing away his dishes, led him into the stable. He stumbled a bit, his steps shaky and placed with little regard. I guided him to the beds I'd rented for the time being and he slid right under the covers, eager for rest, so it would seem.

And I was only able to bid him a goodnight before he dozed off. He was quick to start snoring, his chest rising and falling evenly and peacefully. "Honestly," I murmured, tucking him in. I lifted his head in one hand and gently adjusted the pillow beneath his head, then lowered it once more. He snuggled into the bedding, and I smiled a little as I stood up straight.