Chapter 27 - What Fades with Time

With our goodies in tow, we left Kakariko, our saddlebags bulging with provisions and elixirs and all manner of other items. Our quivers were full, our weapons affixed to our backs, and the horses were fed and well-rested.

In other words, we were all set for adventure, and so that's exactly why we set off when we did.

Our moods were high and our determination set as we took the only road from Kakariko on horseback. Through the canyon we rode, chatting when we wanted to but otherwise we were silent, listening to the song of nature and our bodies obeying the rhythms of our horses' gaits.

We traveled by day and rested at night, sparring when we wanted and fighting all monsters that came. I practiced providing cover with my bow, refined my work with a sword by doing drills alongside Link, and got myself used to the weight of the spear in my hands as we rode along.

In this way, time passed quickly. We progressed through the canyon quickly, and I found that I wasn't dreading this.

At such a pace, if I still was heading right back home to Hateno, I'd have dreaded each and every single second of it, willing it to slow to a stop for however long I was able to stall. But as a matter of fact, because I wasn't going right home, I was going to travel with the Hylian Champion for as long as he'd have me, I found that I wanted to go quickly, very quickly, as quickly as possible towards adventure.

Link seemed to pick up on my enthusiasm, and met it readily with his own excitement. He humored all my questions about life a century ago, delighting in the fact that I was never disappointed by his answers - or lack thereof.

He was happy to sit by and watch as I prepared our meals, and as far as gaining knowledge on cooking went, I'm sure he learned little. But I appreciated the company far too much to say anything about it, so even as I would ramble on and on about whatever nonsense I cared to talk about, he would listen attentively.

At long last, the ground began to slope downwards. Soon, dirt rushed up to meet the rock and the stony ground beneath our feet gave way for dirt, for mud, for gravelly silt.

Now before us stood Kakariko Bridge, and beneath it rushed the waters of Lake Siela. We crossed the bridge, figuring that for now pausing for rest in the shadow of the Dueling Peaks would be fine. So, to the stable we returned.

When we got there, it was evening. Most of the travelers here were already settled in around campfires or were already in bed. Though the beds looked awfully inviting to me by then, I followed Link when he crossed the road and found a small pocket of water hidden at the foot of one of the peaks.

Its water stemmed from a cave somewhere in the mountain, and as Link crouched at the water's edge to fill his canteen, I hung back a bit, wondering if he wanted the company.

I should have known he did, because he had assuredly heard me following after him and he had made no move to stop me or tell me not to. Actually, when I came up beside him, then eased myself to sit atop a rock still warm from the sun's rays despite it having set already, Link glanced up at me briefly with a smile.

"I still can't believe it, you know," he spoke, peeking over his shoulder as though to ensure we were alone.

"Neither can I," I said, knowing what he was referring to.

He was alluding to, of course, the fact that I wanted to travel with him. Over these past few days he'd been unable to believe it, and even now, he was finding it hard to make it stick.

Whenever he looked my way, he always looked surprised, as though he really could not find it in him to believe that I would want to travel with him, that I was still here by his side.