Chapter 38

The walk back to your camp was quiet. After what had just happened, it appeared as though the two of you had forgotten how to speak. But really, anything you would have said would've made the air awkward, if you were honest with yourself. And you didn't want to ruin this moment, so you elected not to speak.

You had turned first, the smile still on your face as you picked up the star fragment in one hand. Beginning to walk, you didn't even try to rid your face of your smile because you knew that it wasn't realistically going to leave anytime soon.

Link, still in a daze, stood for a moment longer in the spot you had kissed. He brought his hand up, touching the tips of his fingers to his lips as he tried to savor the feeling of your lips on his. Realizing you had walked away already, Link snapped out of his trance and jogged to catch up with you. He grabbed your hand, intertwining your fingers.

He looked down at you sheepishly, but you looked up at him and gave him the most radiant smile he had ever seen. Not from the faint light of the star fragment did you seem to glow, no; it was from your happiness that seemed to overflow from your heart.

At your smile, Link's cheeks seemed to burn brighter but he didn't seem to mind, letting his lips spread into a crooked smile. The two of you stepped around a bush, lifting your connected hands over it, and returned to your camp.

The fire was still roaring and you walked over to your bedding that was nearby. You let go of Link's hand and sat down. You began settling in, and Link went over to where his bedding was set up on the other side of the fire. He picked it all up in a ball and as you fluffed your pillow, you sent him a look that silently questioned what he was doing. He sent you a grin from over all of the bedding and walked around the fire and next to you.

He dropped the bedding down and set it up next to you. He got under the covers and brought the blanket up to his face so that only his nose and eyes were showing. Link looked at you with mild amusement as you smoothed your blanket out and set it on top of your legs. You lowered your head onto the pillow and let out a breath.

You realized, after a quiet moment, that he was still looking at you, so you turned your head to look at him. His smile only grew but he closed his eyes and snuggled deeper into the covers. You let out a quiet breath of a laugh and got onto your side, facing him. Reaching out, you found his hand under his blanket and tugged it closer, so that it was between the two of you. Looking at your connected hands with a smile, you brought the blanket farther up on your body with your free hand and closed your eyes.

---

The next morning, you woke up naturally and easily. You realized you were awake before your eyes even opened and you opened them slowly, allowing them to get adjusted to the light of the day. You yawned, and went to rub your eye when you realized that your dominant hand was still held in Link's. Your grip has loosened overnight, as had his, so your hand (which was on top) was really just resting in his palm with his fingers curled loosely around your hand.

You took your hand from his slowly, so as not to wake him, and he shifted slightly from the movement but did not stir. You sat up and stretched your arms over your head, feeling some of the tightness from your first night sleeping back on the ground easing away from your muscles.

When you relaxed, you set your hands in your lap and looked around the camp. It wasn't exactly early in the morning, but it seemed like the world had forgotten to get up today. There was a certain peacefulness to the forest you were situated in, and all was quiet. A few birds flitted from tree to tree far above your head, but other than that, and the gentle noises of the leaves being disrupted by the breeze, it was very quiet.