Chapter 33

It's been days since your encounter with Myra and her crazed village, and fortunately you and Link's journey from there has been quite smooth. Facing the occasional group of monsters was never an issue, and you managed to cover quite a bit of ground. Signs began appearing on the roads that pointed in the direction of Zora's Domain, and this made you excited.

A lot had happened since the last Divine Beast, and you were quite ready to see the Domain- you had read up on it, and the many descriptions of it proved that it was nothing short of gorgeous. Every sign you passed saying Zora's Domain- Straight Ahead made your excitement grow tenfold.

Link was in a much better mood today than he had been since the whole Myra-incident. He slowly opened back up to you, and was back to his normal self again. The ordeal had certainly taken a lot out of him, this much was clear, but now it seemed to be behind him.

Over the past few nights, however, Link had gotten into the odd habit of grabbing your hand as he did the night of the incident, as he went to bed. He would do so when he thought you were asleep- he'd move his bedding closer to yours, get under the covers, and reach out and find your hand. He'd clutch onto your hand as if it were a lifeline.

You didn't bring it up, however, knowing that he'd stop immediately after you'd ask. He didn't know that it helped you sleep as well.

"Get ready," you heard Link say, pulling you from your thoughts. Coming back to your senses and tensing up, you looked at Link. He was looking dead ahead, a determined look in his eyes. He was holding a spear in one hand and Epona's reins in the other. Following his gaze quickly, you saw a small group of Bokoblins, all on horseback. There were seven of them; three holding bows with fire arrows ready, three holding spears, and one holding a short, stout club.

The land between you was rocky. The dirt road led to a wooden bridge that crossed over a river that no doubt was running from Zora's Domain. Readying a spear yourself, you glanced at Link. He met your eyes, his lips forming a mischievous smile, before he kicked into Epona. You followed suit, your mare easily catching up and keeping pace with Epona.

The monsters screeched and followed your lead, charging towards you. The archers went at a slower pace than those with the spears and the one with the club, stopping well before the bridge. You and Link leaned forward on your mares, your charges remaining unyielding and unflinching as they raced towards other horses.

The fastest horse- carrying on its back one of the Bokoblins with a spear- reached you first and reached for Link first, to which Link merely swerved away. You stabbed the Bokoblin as easily as if it was only a dummy used for jousting practice. Link caught up with you, offering you a smile before tossing you one end of a length of rope.

Catching it in one hand, shifting the spear to the other, you held onto it confusedly. What am I supposed to do with this?

Your question was answered almost immediately as the next Bokoblin; another with a spear- ran past you. Startled, you nearly dropped the rope, but instead pulled back on it in shock (pulling it taut) and the Bokoblin's neck met the rope. It fell backwards, off the horse that continued to run, now free from the monster.

Your mouth hung open in shock- had Link really planned that out? Shaking your head to rid yourself of your surprise, you steadied your grip on the spear and continued on towards the next monster. Link took to the right, where the last of the spear-wielding monsters was approaching from.

You slowed, let Link pass you, and then took to the left, towards the one with the club. Speeding up significantly, you passed Link again and maneuvered Nayru to the right slowly. As you neared the monster, time seemed to slow down as you leaned to the left and shoulder-checked the monster, sending it flying over the railing and into the river below.