VOL.

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

( beyond the reef )

UNSURPRISINGLY ENOUGH, YOUR fight hadn't gone unheard of around awa'atlu, and soon your father had dragged the three of you back to your sectioned marui to unleash his disappointment upon you and your brothers.

"what was the one thing i asked?" he intently questioned as the four of you made your way underneath the dwelling. "the one thing?"

keeping your head turned seemed like the better option to do in your situation, studying the intricate designs on the inside of your tent to keep from baring witness of your dad's angered glare.

you ran your tongue over the inside of your lips, small gashes from where your gums collided with your teeth indented across the skin.

"stay out of trouble," lo'ak dejectedly answered, his eyes trained on the scenery behind jake in an effort to avoid meeting his eyes.

"stay outta trouble!" your father repeated. "right."

"it was my fault," neteyam spoke up, holding his hands out as he stepped in front lo'ak defensively.

"i don't think so- you've gotta stop taking the heat for this knucklehead," the older man dismissed through his teeth, staring pointedly at your twin.

"dad, aonung was picking on kiri and—"

finally looking over at the three, you heaved a curt sigh, cutting off your brother's sentence as you shook your head.

"it wasn't lo'ak this time," you defended, meeting your father's confused gaze. "it was me. i started it all."

"what are you talking about?" jake pressed, his eyes narrowing as your brothers looked at you in confusion.

"i started the fight, i punched aonung," you expressed. "lo'ak and neteyam were just trying to help me."

jake paused, running his tongue along the insides of his cheeks as he fumed. "are you kidding me?"

shaking your head, your eyes fell to the ground soulfully.

"you're supposed to be the sensible twin- you're older, you make sure lo'ak doesn't do anything rash!" your father went on. "you stay out of trouble, you don't go causing it."