Chapter 4: Put Your Records On

Enid's POV:

The whole archery thing with Wednesday left me feeling things I wasn't used to feeling. It felt like I had a whole cluster of butterflies crashing around in my belly. So maybeeee Ajax was a little right...I may possibly have a little tiny itty bitty crush on Wens. No big deal right I mean this is probably just a stupid little phase of my life and I'm just confused or something, right? Plus it's not like she's gonna feel the same about me. Although she did admit to me making her blush. She'd never admit she likes me back though if she even likes me back that is. That's just not who Wednesday is. No love, no emotions, no feelings.

After I tried to hit the target a couple of times on my own (I did not hit it a single time after Wednesday helped me) she lead me to this beautiful graveyard. I know, me, calling a graveyard pretty is like the last thing that you would expect but it's the truth. There were black and red rose bushes planted all around and the gravestones looked very elegant. I'm starting to see why Wednesday likes graveyards so much seeing she grew up around this one.

She lead me to a grave that said 'Nero' with a scorpion on it. This must be her pet scorpion's grave she told me about.

Wens knelt down in front of the grave and patted the grass next to her, telling me to sit. I sat next to her and crisscrossed my legs. The look on Wednesday's face was one that I don't believe I've ever seen before. She seemed like she was longing for something. Probably for Nero to be here with her.

"Today would have been ten years since he was brutally murdered. I wish I could have gotten revenge on those ignorant assholes." She says softly as she places a black rose on the gravestone.

I put my hand on her shoulder signaling that I was there for her. I'll always be there for Wednesday no matter what happens. When I left for those three days a part of me kept wanting to be there for her so I kept going back to the dorm using the fact that I forgot something as an excuse.

Wednesday is an intricate person with an obscure way of doing things which makes most people not understand her, but she makes perfect sense to me. Emotions don't come naturally to Wednesday as it does for most. Where someone might feel sad about failing their exam, she wouldn't connect the failure to sadness and instead connect it to working harder and more so it doesn't happen again. I know she feels emotions it's just that she doesn't know how to express them or know why she's feeling them. This fact among her lifestyle makes people see her as different and people don't like different. I would know.

"I'm so sorry Wens. I know Nero meant a lot to you. Those boys are lucky I don't hunt them down and bring them to you. Nero sounds like he was a really great friend to you. Can I give you a hug?"

She pauses and looks at me. I can tell she's thinking about what I just said. Wens is so cute when she's thinking.

"I loved Nero which I can't say for many things or people. He was and still is very special to me. I have to admit you are growing on me like he did, Enid. Somehow with all your bright colors and loud music, you manage to make me feel like I can talk to you about things. It's weird. I don't quite understand it, but I don't entirely mind it. You're different Enid. I like that about you."

The way my face turned redder than a tomato when she said that to me. She just admitted to me that she feels safe around me. That's like even bigger than her saying I love you. I'm glad that I make her feel safe though. That brings me joy to know I make my favorite person feel safe.

"Aww Wenss, you care about me?"

"Don't get cocky Sinclair, but I suppose I what you would say care about you. Tell anyone and I put dynamite in every single one of those little stuffed creatures of yours and blow them up. You can give me that hug now but make it quick before I change my mind."