Chapter 1 - Don't touch Mother!

Have you ever wondered what it would be like to have your world turned upside down? To have it change in the blink of an eye?

Kirea did, and far too many times than she should. Often inspired by fantasy novels or fairy tales, she gazed out across the ocean with a heavy sigh. Her mind was running away from her as she was lost in a state of daydreaming.

Although, her life was anything but boring, perhaps that was why she found comfort in these little dreams. She was constantly busy, never really free to enjoy any time to herself, besides the few moments before bed in which she could read. Stealing moments in time to catch glimpses of the sea, brought so much joy. She wanted nothing more than to be out there, free from the everyday bindings of boring everyday life.

"Kirea dear, we have another customer!" Her mother called from the other room.

Her gaze came back into focus at the same time as her mind, her large brown eyes staring back at her in the window's reflection. She shoved the rest of her rather plain sandwich into her mouth and dusted herself off. That was enough daydreaming for today. Back to work. She quickly braided her scarlet hair over her shoulder and wrapped her apron around her slender frame, before joining her mother in the clinic.

Kirea was her mother's apprentice, though many thought that she had far exceeded her mother's capabilities. She had learnt a lot from her mother, and would never try to take the clinic away or branch off to start a new one, it simply didn't feel right to her. The town's folk had long since grown a custom to calling her an animal whisperer. They claimed she could talk to animals, but the truth was far from the wishful thinking of their clients. She just has a good sense and a vast array of knowledge, partly thanks to her reading, not just fantasy novels.

"Quickly, Kirea, the young mare is in dire condition, I need your assistance." Her mother, a woman by the name of Doris, was already examining the horse, a confused look posed on her expression. Her own rusty red locks also tired back, she was basically an older more worn version of her daughter.

She could tell her mother was at a loss for what had happened to the sweet little thing. Kirea quickly put on some gloves and reached for the young stead ready to provide aid.

"Pulse is weak and irregular, she is having muscle tremors too..." She lowered her head to the animal's mouth, she could barely feel it breathing.

"Labored breathing." She glanced at her mother as the older women gasped coming to the same conclusion.

"Poison." They said in unison.

"That cannot be!" The owner of the mare was rather distraught by the news.

He was a local farmer and one who actually cared for the animals he raised. It was heartbreaking to see him so concerned for his little companion.

"Mr Pinly, have you recently started growing any new plants around or near the horse stables or paddocks?" Kirea asked.

He was shaking his head. "I make sure not to have crops harmful to them, the tomato vines are in the greenhouse and the onions are nowhere near them."

"What of trees?" Her mother asked.

"The wife did pick up some tree saplings, but she knows that we can't have Maple."

"Were they Yew trees by chance?" Kirea questioned.

The man's eyes widened in shock, and he nodded.

"I would advise to get rid of them. Or in the least move them."

"Yes ma'am!"

"Leave her with us overnight, we will care for her and try to get the poison out of her system." Kirea's mother left her with the mare while she walked the shaken-up farmer outside.