Chapter 9 - Not his type.

The next morning Kirea awoke to a soft knock at her door. Surprised by the sudden sound, she gasped awake as she slid off the side of the bed she was barely lying on. Groaning as pain shot through her hand, her blister having broken her fall. When had she fallen asleep? By the feel of her heavy eyelids and the strain from keeping them open, she could tell she hadn't gotten much shut-eye at all.

Another knock sounded, this time slightly louder. He was growing impatient.

"Coming! One moment." She politely called in response.

She hurriedly tossed aside her clothes from last night and threw on fresh ones. She tied her hair up before hopping around trying to put her shoes and socks on. Rushing to the door she opened it and smiled. "Sorry to keep you waiting."

Henry stared down at her from the hall. His clothing was fresh and pristine. He raised a brow at her and recoiled slightly, a displeased expression meeting her confused one.

"What?" She asked with a frown.

"You look like you were wrestling with the powders this morning and they exploded... on your face." He stated.

She gave him a dumbfounded confused look, and then it clicked. She'd left the makeup on from last night. Leaving the door ajar she ran for the small table, a hand mirror sitting neatly atop it. She attempted to rub the paint from her face but only managed to smear it more. "Gods, I hate this stuff!"

She hadn't noticed Henry enter her room until he flung a wet face cloth at her. It hit her square in the temple. "Hurry up." He grunted.

She snarled at him but used the cloth to scrub away the caked-on layer that women often used to hide their insecurities. Oh, this was the beginning of a beautiful friendship with Henry, she could just see it now. Finally, with the mess of clown makeup off her face, she was silently escorted to the same dining hall as the knights.

"Wait, you want me to eat here... With all of you?" She questioned in a whisper.

"Not good enough for you, Princess?" He scoffed.

She huffed back. "That's not what I meant and you know it. I assumed I would be dining with the help, not the soldiers!"

"You appear to be, only slightly more important than that, at least to the king. The help is portion restricted, we knights are not." He explained.

"So, basically he wants me healthy..." She cringed as she trailed off. Thinking about the servants and how malnourished they had looked, it now made sense. But that didn't mean she had to like the idea. It only added to her dislike of this place and its practices. Home sweet home, she thought bitterly.

"Eat, then I am to take you to meet the mages." He ordered.

"They're here already?" She was shocked and slightly taken aback.

"Preparations began the moment you were taken to your room last night. I doubt any of us got any sleep." He responded with a rather irritated tone.

Funny that, since he looked far more refreshed than she. She eyed him suspiciously.

"Here, here, you said it brother!" A knight slapped Henry on the back as they sat down at the large tables.

The dining hall was to the side of the Knights quarters. It was not far from an open grassy area surrounded by tall walls, she assumed that was their training area. This room was quite open, the fresh cool breeze drifting in bringing with it a hint of the sea.

The tables for long and skinny, around 15 or so knights were currently enjoying their meals. thankfully they appeared to have more manners than the King. Meats, bread, fruits and several jars of what she assumed were milk lined the centre of the long wooden tables. A plate was placed in front of her as Henry had already begun to pile his own high.