Chapter 46 - The Little Prince.

Nine Months Later

Kirea screamed, the sound surely ripped through the air alerting anyone that was close, but she couldn't keep it in. The pain was utterly unbelievable, her insides were in sheer protest of keeping the child in any longer.

Not only that but she needed to rid herself of the tail to actually give birth. She had been treading lightly with the other sirens around the area, trying to learn as much as she could, but they hardly trusted her yet. She'd barely learned the language let alone have someone teach her to shed her tail for legs.

She also refused to give birth to the child in the water under siren supervision. When she had felt the contractions begin she raced for the shore of the one person she trusted with her life and her child.

If it were a boy... She didn't want to think about it, she needed to deliver the child safely first.

"Hen- Henry." She tried to speak but the pain was blinding, the words only coming out in a muffled whisper.

Hands wrapped around her upper body as she was heaved from the water and fully onto the shore. Her eyes only just managed to focus as tears streamed down her face, his face was all she needed in that moment and she clung to him, desperate for his aid.

Scopping her up he ran for an outlet to the south, he'd stashed supplies for this very day there. There was no way she could be taken to a regular doctor given she was now a siren with a half-siren child.

What came next was something that neither of them would forget. Her tail wouldn't shed on its own, he had to use a knife to slice the tail open freeing her legs. Looking on in complete horror at the state of her legs it dawned on him why she couldn't use them yet, why she couldn't shed her tail for legs as Ren had done.

Her legs were a fraction of what they used to be, frail and skinny, they held no strength, it was like they hadn't completely formed yet. Had she been regrowing her legs again since the day she had first changed into a siren? Now was not the time to ask, she needed all the support he could give.

After several long hours, they had achieved the unthinkable.

A crying babe emerged as joyous smiles spread over their exhausted faces.

Cleaning the child off Henry cut the cord and proceeded to hand the baby over to the already healing Kirea, her tail once again fusing and mending together tucking away her frail legs, cocooning them for when hopefully one day she might be able to use them again.

Kirea took the child, already the evidence of her flaming red hair could be seen in the few strands that were on the baby's head.

He blinked up at his mother with wide beautiful green eyes, just like Ren's. She cradled the babe looking down at the beautiful creation that they had made together.

Her bottom lip trembled as she knew what was to come next.

She handed the child back to Henry who looked at her perplexed and confused.

"I can't take the child to the sea." She quietly confessed though she wished it weren't true.

"What are you talking about!?" Henry protested as he fumbled to hold the little thing.

"Henry... He's a boy." Tears streamed down her face as she reached a single finger to her son.

"What does that have to-" He cut himself off finally understanding. His eyes fell on the little boy in his arms and he saddened. "He can't live like Ren did, but he can't be without his mother."

"I-I can't be on land..." Every word she spoke slowly broke her heart. "If I take him... He'll be taken from me the moment they know he's alive. I need to tell them that the child died at birth, I can't have any contact... not... not yet." She smiled sadly down at the tiny curious eyes that looked around at the world.