Chapter 35 - Things can't get worse, right?

"Are you insane!?" Kirea hissed.

"If it would protect Kirea-"

"Ren! Killing someone is wrong!" Kirea cut the siren off.

"Then was it wrong for Henry to kill the Sirens that came for me?" Ren commented.

Henry smirked.

Since when had these two been on the same side? "I- well that was self-defense..." She tried.

"Well... actually, the last one was retreating." Henry pointed out. "Couldn't let that one bring more back here before we have a chance to regroup and heal up."

"Wouldn't this be self-defence?" Ren added. "Be it for my life or yours, we are both at risk of dying if the King is not stopped, correct?"

The worst part was that she couldn't argue with that. Then a thought struck. Getting to her feet she turned to face Henry and crossed her arms over her chest. "Why haven't you taken this course of action before now? What's so different now for you to consider this?"

"I didn't have enough allies or a means to get away with it. It would look like murder, no matter what I did. Hire an assassin - murder. Kill him in his sleep - murder. If the death is suspicious then someone on his council would likely take over while an investigation takes place, and the knights would be punished for not protecting the king. It wasn't possible before."

"Someone on his council would be just as bad, the greedy bastards would probably still want the same things as Haith." She asked stated. Everything he was staying made sense to her, there was no point in taking one tyrant out if another would just take his place.

Henry looked at Ren with a smile. "Now, we have an advantage, though it would mean that Ren would be exposed to the rest of the kingdom. You see, at the end of the war, a treaty was put into place that forbade the capture and enslavement of magical creatures."

"I'm aware, but that was between elves and humans." Since then the elves were called on like mercenaries or trades man.

"It was written up with the elves, I was there. The term elf wasn't used. They used essence welding individuals. If the King is killed by say a Siren defending himself from an asshole who was trying to cut out his heart..."

"There would be no backlash if the King fell to the hands of the creature that he was holding capture," Rendrick spoke the words allowed as though understanding what Henry was getting at.

"But, we can't make Ren do our dirty work!" Kirea protested.

"I don't mind," Ren added.

"I do! You've been through enough." Kirea exclaimed.

"We will all have our part to play in this." Henry stepped forward extending a hand to her. "Your role is the biggest of them all."

"Me?" She was confused.

"You have to convince the King that we need to be here for the ritual, it has to happen on that night."

"Self-defence..." Kirea muttered as she turned to look at Ren with wide eyes. "But how will we..."

"We drown him. Here." Henry's words were emotionless.

Kirea took a sharp intact of breath, were they really going to commit treason?

"What do we have to lose Kirea?" It was Ren who asked.

"Our lives for one!"

"No, that's what we will gain. At this point, our lives are forfeit come the night of the blood moon." Henry pointed out.