Chapter 5 - Time for a demonstration!

It had taken them several hours to empty gallons of the putrid water from the tank. They had only just begun to replace it with fresh seawater when they were forced to stop and cover the tank. The King wanted to eat another meal. Of course he did, Kirea rolled her eyes at the news but didn't dare argue. It's like he could use a different room in this massage castle... But no he had to dine here of all places.

The Lord's flamboyant life appeared to be far more important than some fish man, that was at least how the King referred to her patient.

Tyson had kindly provided her with a washcloth to dry herself off, but she still received judgmental glances at her appearance from the cleaning crew they had called in to get rid of the dead fish. She knew what they all thought of her, and honestly, she didn't give a damn. Thankfully they were all too preoccupied with her appearance and the smell to actually ask questions, like why was there rotting fish all over the floor? She learned very quickly that people didn't ask questions or speak out of turn around others here.

She sat with her back to the covered tank, notebook in hand. She was jotting down the patient's key features and referencing them to known marine life. All the while the handmaidens cleaned the room, disposing of the fowl-smelling fish with horrified expressions. Many have covered their noses with cloth in order to work. One had even run out of the room to throw up, she actually found the whole ordeal quite amusing.

"What are you thinking?" Tyson asked her in a soft tone.

She was tapping the charcoal to her chin, leaving a spot of black on the skin, as she ran over her notes. "Well, most of the features are similar to those of deep-sea marine life..." she trailed off as a woman crossed her path in front of her with a mop.

It wasn't long until the King entered, his clothing completely refreshed, she was sure it was only to be covered in filth again in mere seconds. The cooks lined the table with way more food than any one man could eat. It was sickening, her jaw clenched thinking of all the times her village struggled to find or buy food.

She caught the scowl he gave her as he took his seat, probably to do with her attire or lack thereof. She bowed her head and clenched the towel more tightly around herself. If he wanted her to work on getting the Siren better what did he expect?

It wasn't until everyone else left the room that His Majesty addressed them. "You have been in here all day?" he questioned.

"Yes my Lord, I believe we are starting to make progress." Tyson bowed as he responded.

Haith rose a brow at them. "Well?"

Tyson pulled the cloth down, revealing the tank now seemingly to be half empty.

"It looks to me like you are trying to kill it, not make it better." The King stated with a huff before he began eating. Shoving handfuls of food into his mouth, at an alarming rate.

Kirea frowned, how had this man not had a heart attack by now? How did he not choke on that much food? Was he even chewing it at that pace? How was he even still King for that matter? All she'd seen him do so far was eat and make threats.

"If I may?" she asked for permission to join the conversation.

Lord Haith waved a chicken leg at her, she took the action as a sign to speak. "The patient-"

"Ha! You mean the fish." The King burst out laughing, food and saliva flying from his mouth as he didn't care for table manners.

She held back her tongue. "-is of a deep-sea species. In order for marine life to remain healthy in captivity, it is imperative that they live in an environment that mimics their natural habitat."