Chapter 3 - Why am I here?

Kirea was escorted to where the King was supposably dining. Tyson thankfully stayed with her all the while, though she couldn't say that she fully trusted him, though it was somewhat slightly reassuring having to not see and meet the King alone for the first time.

Tyson instructed her to wait until he called for you, he had to gain permission first it seemed. So many rules she was going to have to get used to, it was all starting to give her a headache. The nagging pain in her temples would probably become the new normal for her all too soon. But still, she forced a smile and nodded following his lead and waited.

From what she had been told so far, she must rise at a certain time, and eat at a certain time. No walking in certain areas; that one had more to do with the Knights doing unghastly things to women who wandered around alone. She could not speak unless spoken to, except with Tyson, who was to be her supervisor of sorts. She could not leave the castle without first gaining permission. And lastly, the most strange of all that she was ordered to do, or in this case not to do. She must not, under any circumstances, talk to anyone about the work that she is to be doing, the only exceptions being Tyson and Lord Haith.

What the hell was she going to be doing that called for that much secrecy? Her thoughts were promptly interrupted when she was summoned into the room.

"He'll see you now." Tyson addressed her poking his head out from the closed door before her.

Oh he will, will he? She calmed herself and her quick-witted tongue. Her normal lifestyle would never sort this environment, and if she was to keep herself and her mother alive she would need to act... civilised. Just the thought gave her goosebumps. Readying herself as best as she could, she walked through the large wooden doors to stand beside Tyson. Taking hold of her skirts she curtsied to greet his Majesty the King.

"It is an honour, my King." Raising her head she came face to face with the man who was heavily hated by the lesser classes. She immediately had to steel her face and force a smile. The sight before her was anything but handsome, revolting didn't even begin to describe what she witnessed. This man... this man was their ruler!? Heavens save us all.

He was still shovelling food into his mouth as he eyed her with his double chins held high. She watched as he tore into a turkey leg, the grease raining down his chins onto his extravagant garments. She fought back the urge to vomit at the sight. No wonder the women he bought here never left, they probably threw themselves off the cliffside, when the alternative was to bed... him. If he ever asked her to his bed chamber, she might very well think that was an option.

"Yes, yes. Get to explaining Tyson." When he spoke saliva projected and sprayed over the plates in front of him. "But first the doors. And remember, if she can't do it, it's your head on the line."

Tyson bowed low sweeping his arm across his chest. "Yes, of course, your Majesty."

Kirea was tense, her body frozen. So easily he could speak about death. Her mother had always warned her to keep her head down around the nobles and to never come in contact with the royals. Guess all that was out the window now.

Tyson scurried around the room closing both entrances to the room. One looked to be a kitchen to the back and the other the entrance she had come through. She stood as politely as possible with a forced smile, her hands clenched in her apron, as she waited for her freedom to be locked away on the other side of those doors. No escape, no witnesses.

Once his task was complete Tyson returned to her side, her attention quickly switching targets moving away from the balding fat man that was meant to be her ruler. All she could see was a greedy pig using her tax money to fuel his own obsessions. And still, she had to force the sweet smile, her facial muscles were already starting to strain under the content use.