Chapter 33 - Safe for now... Right?

Ren had his hands clenched together in front of him as though in prayer as his voice rose high. He was trying desperately to keep the song going, he didn't even know if it was working, but he couldn't risk stopping. His throat burned from overuse and he was feeling weak and drained from all the energy he was expelling through the song.

He felt a tap on his shoulder jolting him out of his song, he fell backward with a gasp as fear gripped him. He hadn't known anyone had entered the cave, mainly because he had had his eyes closed, focusing on only one thing.

"It's okay... now." The knight's voice was worn and drained, but it was Henry!

Ren looked up at the Knight with joy-filled eyes, relief flooding through him at the mere sight of the human.

But Henry collapsed to the ground, his eyes barely open. The joy and relief quickly replaced with panic and concern, Ren rushed to aid him only to be further shocked by the condition he was in. His body was filling out with patches of black and blue, his clothing was torn and blood dripped at an alarming rate from numerous wounds. He touched a hand to the protector's chest, turning it over to look at his red-stained hand.

Frowing his brows Ren hooked his arm in Henry's and attempted to drag him over to the water's edge.

"What... are you doing?" The Knight managed to say between the wheezing and laboured breathing.

"You need to be healed."

"No... Save your... energy for Kirea." He protested.

Ren's heart clenched, so Henry knew that he was also weakened by this encounter. Thinking on it for a moment he came up with a better idea. "Let me at least close the wounds on the outside, the King will ask questions."

Henry made a disgruntled sound of disapproval but nodded his head regardless.

Ren continued to drag the half-unconscious man to the water, leaving a trail of red behind.

"Please... don't drown me." Henry attempted a laugh.

"Now is no time for jokes!"

"You sound... like my mother." He wheezed again.

"Shut it, Henry! You need to rest." Ren warned.

"I'll rest when I'm d-" He was cut off as Ren abruptly pulled the Knight into and below the water's surface. Coughing and spluttering Henry scowled at the Siren clearly knowing he had done that on purpose.

Ren kept him in the shallows, the water quickly turned to a cloudy crimson, a mixture of sand and blood from both their bodies. Closing down his eyes, Ren drew upon the water around them rather than the energy within himself. It had always been easier to channel his energy through water and it was less physically draining. Maybe he could better heal Kirea in the water than on land, but that would need to wait, Henry needed him now.

Focusing on the water lapping at the human's skin we willed it to flow over his body, trickling down and encasing the wounds in little puddles of water. He was on his knees beside Henry, his arms stretched out above the human's body, his fingers moving as though he were playing a musical instrument.

Henry watched with hooded eyes as the siren's body slowly began to change, his scales and patterned markings returning to the surface of his skin and letting off a soft glow. He was changing back to his other form. Was it because he was in the water or because he was using magical abilities that required his other form?

Ren opened his eyes, his glowing green irises shining down at Henry as we used the droplets of water to meld Henry's skin together. Slowly the wounds knitted themselves shut and Henry was able to breathe easier and deeper.