Chapter 34 - We do what now!?

"Wait, we haven't gotten anything for lunch!" Henry protested to being pulled away from the food.

"It can wait, better yet there's fish where we're going, you can make a fire on the beach." She quickened her pace as her irritation grew, she knew something had happened to him.

"What's the rush?"

Rounding a corner she released her hold on him only to peer up at him "What happened!?"

"What do you m- "

He was cut off as she gently punched his stomach. He recoiled hunched over in pain as his breath left him.

"What happened!" She demanded an explanation.

"Nothing!" He tried.

She grabbed at his shirt, yanking it out from under his belted pants and up to reveal his abdomen.

"Hey, hey, hey, now is not the time to strip me!"

She frowned as she couldn't see any damage. He attempted to retrieve his clothing from her grasp, in return she took hold of his side and squeezed as hard as she could.

"Argh!"

"You're hurt! What the hell happened!?" She repeated. "And don't bull shit me!"

"There was a small... incident," He began.

She eyed him angrily and raised her index finger in a threatening manner as though she were about to poke his ribs.

"Okay okay." He raised his hands in defeat. "Can we get down to the cavern first? Too many eyes and ears around."

Sighing she reluctantly agreed.

The walk down to the beach was eerily quiet, she could tell he was on high alert. A feeling of dread slowly crept in, filling her being and making her anxious. Had the King hurt him? Was his injuries her fault?

Stepping foot on the familiar sand the air felt wrong. In the distance, several men were wandering aimlessly into the frothy swallows of the beach.

"What the-" She stopped dead eyeing the strange scene.

"I couldn't break them out of it even after the monsters were killed." Henry took ahold of her arm and pulled her along.

"Killed!?" Her head whipped around, her eyes wide. "Ren, is he-"

"He's fine." He injected.

Opening the door to the cavern they both slipped through.

"What the fuck is going on!" She blurted out.

"They came for him." He stated plainly.

"WHO!"

"The mermaids- ah Sirens, whatever you wanna call them. Mean ass-looking women with ravers for teeth and claws for hands."

"What? That makes no sense."

"This whole situation doesn't make sense, but hey look we're living it." Henry swivelled, turning to approach the water. "There was a fight, three of them came for him and likely for you."

"Me?" She questioned as she followed after him.

"Ren, you doing okay, how's the tail?" Henry ignored her.

"I'm fine. I'm more concerned about your injuries." The siren answered. He was perched up against the ledge of the swallows as the water lightly lapped at his lower waist.

"I'll heal."

"Can someone please exp-" Kirea stopped as she finally took notice of Ren in the water. His tail was transparent, she could just barely make out a pair of legs cocooned within. "What..." She breathed in sharply shocked.