Chapter 32 - Siren's Song.

Henry could barely hear Ren's words as they inched closer to the sand below. A haunting sound had begun to fill his ears as they approached what he now knew to be women, he was finding it hard to focus.

"It's affecting you, this is a bad idea, let's go back before they see us." Ren pleaded in a hushed whisper.

Henry shook his head as a dull ache set in as he resisted whatever magic was filling the air from their voices. He craned his head to the side and he eyed Ren's scared gaze. "You know what they're doing, yes?"

Ren nodded grimly. "You're strong to be resisting the song."

Already they could see men from the village walking aimlessly down to the beach and toward the group of three women.

"Can you do it as well?" The pain in his head was causing him to grimace. "Cancel it out or something."

"I-I don't know how, I've never tried. But it only works on allure and attraction. When it comes to men the women are strong. It wouldn't work on you if I did it." Ren wasn't following.

Henry ensured they stayed out of sight, keeping Ren behind him and hiding the Siren's smaller form behind his own as they descended the stairs. Once on the sand, they darted around to a small recess in the rock face.

"It'll work for me." He stated plainly.

Ren scrunched up his face confused. "Nonsense, that would mean that you would find- oh." His eyes opened wide as a slight blush filled his cheeks as he realised what the Knight had meant. "I didn't know you felt that way about me."

"Not you, you baffon! Just men in general are more attractive than women." He hissed. "But keep that to yourself, please. Kirea trusts you so I'm trusting you." Besides, it was the only thing that may give them the edge they needed.

Thinking on it for a moment Ren slowly nodded. "Then... it could work... maybe."

"It's worth a try at the very least. Stay here, and make a run for the cave when you see an opening." Henry instructed.

"I can't get in without you opening it though!" Ren pointed out.

Henry cussed to himself, he hadn't even thought to add Ren to the rune inside the cavern. This was going to be one hell of a fight to get the merman back in his pond.

"You're going to have to stick close to me then, we charge for the opening, and I'll get you in." Henry wasn't even sure of his own plan. "They're not going to give up and go away if we wait them out are they?"

Two of three women appeared to be sniffing the air. Slowly they inched closer to the stone wall, the entrance to the cavern. Were they tracking Ren by scent? The third stood back her head tilted to the sky with her mouth open, she must be the one singing. Though he couldn't actually hear anything he surmised it must be a higher-pitched frequency.

"I'm not sure how they found out I'm still alive, maybe one of them caught wind of my scent where I was found. But no, they won't stop until they find me and kill me. They have what they want from me, I'm a liability to the race now." He informed in a whisper. "They'll likely track my scent up the castle... and to..." He couldn't say it, he didn't want to believe mating with her had been wrong, but it was hard not to think that right now... he'd put her in danger.

"Kirea." Henry finished for him with a heavy sigh. "Then I'll just have to kill them."

"More will be sent!" Ren protested.

"Then I'll fight them off as well, no one is getting to her or you."

Ren felt chills run up his spine as he found the declaration touching. "I can just turn myself in, and solve all the problems."