Chapter 38 - Test of Wills

Henry was right, though she was pained to admit it. Was their plan doomed from the start? And yet there was no turning back once the night of the blood moon began, for all of them.

"Three days..." She spoke aloud, barely muttering the words. It was easier to shift through her thoughts with spoken words at times like these.

The sound of water droplets hitting the pool's surface told her that Ren had moved. His fingers soon brushed against her submerged arm, gently trailing a line down to her wrist. Their hands entangling, her gaze lifted from the water's depths as their eyes met.

He didn't smile or tell her it would be okay, instead, those simmering jewels stared at her with a sense of determination. A silent promise that they would get through this. His presence instantly calmed her, grounding her, the slight panic that had reared its head subsided, melting away as a new warmth filled her.

She couldn't even feel the fatigue from keeping herself afloat anymore, the closer to him she was the more at ease she became. Ren's other hand breached the surface to cup her face, beads of water sliding down her cheek as her mouth fell slightly agape. His gaze drifted down as his thumb gently grazed her lower lip. How she could feel warmth in these cold waters was astonishing. But the feeling kept building drawing her closer to him... This wasn't normal and yet she didn't hate it.

Ren leaned in, his lips brushing against hers as her heart began to increase its pace out of sheer anticipation.

Henry cleared his throat.

A clear reminder that he was still there. Kirea's eyes widened, how had she gotten something so simple? Had she really been so lost in the moment to forget reason itself? A slight blush filling her cheeks she pulled away from Ren and swam for the ledge to join Henry.

As Kirea retreated from him, Ren tilted his head to the side looking over to the Knight before letting out a heavy sigh. He hadn't forgotten the man's presence and certainly didn't like the interruption. "I've already kissed you Henry." He stated bluntly.

Henry groaned rolling his eyes. Hoisting himself up onto dry land he turned to help Kirea out of the water. Already their skin was wrinkling, having absorbed too much water, it was imperative that they dry off before heading out into the chill night winds. "You wish buddy, if you call that a kiss I feel sorry for Kirea."

Ren swam to the ledge, placing his hands on the rocky outcrop before leaning his head on them and pouting at the two. "I will admit it was a little rushed and uncaring. Besides I'm pretty sure I kiss her better than you do."

"What?" She blurted out surprised nearly falling back into the water. How would he know that? She shot Henry a look thinking it had to have been him.

The knight lifted his hands in defence. "Wasn't me, I never said a word."

Ren smirked. "You have several scents on you, the closer you are with someone the more they rub off on you. Henry's is second strongest only to mine now, but... that night, the Knights scent was quite strong on you." He added.

"I-I..." She couldn't find the words, she suddenly felt ashamed.

Catching the change Ren hoisted himself up onto the ledge and reached for her, his hand gently resting on her knee. His jokingness pushed aside as he allowed himself to be more serious. "Hey, it's okay. I know what you two must do to survive and I will never hold that against you."

Henry also saw the internal struggle with her morals. He joined Ren in trying to comfort her "It was eating away at you that night, that whole situation was fucked. Don't you dare feel ashamed!"

"I... I feel as though I've betrayed you. Like what I did was wrong and it... it hurts." She clenched at the wet material wrapped around her chest. And yet she knew she shouldn't feel this way, they weren't exactly an item, but the gnawing sensation ate away at her making her doubt her emotions.