Chapter 24 - Well That Back Fired.

"He- He's going to-" Kirea felt like she was about to hyperventilate.

The walls were closing in around her. Her lungs disobeyed her as her body entered a state of complete shock. She had speculated that it wouldn't be a nice ritual, but to kill such a marvellous creature. To sacrifice a life for one person's selfish desires.

King Haith was a cruel man, she hated him, but she would never understand him. This so-called king who was known for his brutality, she had wanted to believe that he wouldn't do such a thing to such a special find. But she was deluding herself, she should have seen it sooner.

Henry was by her side as she lost all sense of self. Now helping her stand his own eyes trained on the open pages before them. His jaw was rigid but he was nowhere near as shocked as she.

Kirea hadn't even realized she had crumbled until she was clinging to him and gasping for air. Her limbs became weak and unable to carry her weight as the seriousness of the situation set in.

"Kirea, calm down. We still have time, we'll figure this out." Henry tried his best to bring her back.

He slowly sank to the ground with her as she tried to get her breathing under control. Her eyes were full of fear as she looked up at him, her fingers clenching tightly and beginning to dig in.

"He can't do that." She muttered.

"I'll be damned if I let that bastard live forever, not fucking happening," Henry spoke with venom. "I've waited too long for him to drop dead, military control won't ever be an option if he gains eternal life."

The piercing glare that stared back at her helped her regain some control. Before she could respond both their heads snapped to the door, the sound of approaching footsteps echoing down the hall and toward them.

They'd taken too long as it were.

They needed to get out, and now!

She scrambled to her feet, picked up the book and replaced it in the draw. They couldn't let on that they knew. They darted out of the room and closed the door behind them, but they had nowhere to run and no way to explain the reason they were down there. They couldn't even lie about wanting to see the King, everyone knew what time he dined and he never missed it.

Henry cussed under his breath as he frantically looked for an answer. Kirea ran for the window using her arms to hoist herself up onto the ledge, this only caused Henry to panic.

"Are you crazy, we won't survive that!" He hissed in a low tone.

Lifting herself up onto the sill she spun around, planting her backside on the ledge before motioning for him to approach her, in response he eyed her confused.

"We need an excuse, come here!" She ordered in her own hushed voice.

His head lingered in the direction of the approaching steps before he let out a frustrated groan. He knew what they had to do, but he didn't have to like it. "We'll be punished." He warned.

"Better for this than for snooping." She pulled up her skirts bunching them up around her waist, then proceeded to untie his shirt that was laced neatly around his neck. Lastly, she concluded the disguise by pulling the hem of his shirt out from his trousers.

"Are you going to put in any effort or must I do all the work!?" She hissed.

With a huff he grabbed her as he stepped between her legs, a hand disappearing under the material of her dress while the other firmly held the back of her neck. "Don't cry at me if you regret this."

She didn't even get time to respond, he swiftly pulled her head down, his lips impacting hers. He was kissing her, if she hadn't hated him she'd say he was damn good at it too.