Chapter 1 - Fight or Flight

Hatred and unwantedness was almost the only thing I ever knew in my life from people outside of my family. My name is Firin te Suli Tsyeyk'itan. A human born on Pandora, a giant moon of the gas giant Polyphemus.

The Na'vi, the aliens who lived here, seemed to hate my species regardless of much good they do. Not that there is much to speak of anyways. The environment is hostile with everything wanting to kill you just for being there. My father told me that the planet does this as a defense mechanism to keep the 'balance of life' in order, whatever that is supposed to mean with me not even trying to harm it. But topping all these things wanting me dead, the air seems to have the most success in doing so. I mean, 20 seconds for unconsciousness and 4 minutes for death?! These circumstances haven't stopped my parents and their people from living here though. The 'sky people' developed a breathing kit called the exopack to not immediately be killed by the air. This task is then taken over by the creatures living on pandora, so not much of a difference in the end. The exopack was still essential for me, so I could live and get made fun of from by the other members of my clan, the Omatikaya Clan.

My father told me about my biological parents and their work: Soldiers from earth, flying through space for six years, just to mine a mineral called unobtanium, a weird goal for me and my siblings, why would you ever need that when it is so far away? Doesn't earth give them the same resources as us? Oh, I guess I didn't tell you about my father, well step-father if you want to be precise. His name is Jake Sully another human who was supposed to fight against the Na'vi by gaining their trust and making them move away from Kelutral or 'Hometree'. But later on, during his mission he realized he had fought for the wrong side, just like Max Patel, Norm Spellman and the rest of the rogue ones, with most of them being scientists and the first two giving medical assistance to members of our clan, the one who actually won the war with my father as their leader gathering a lot of other Na'vi clans, send the humans back to earth. So somehow, he got to where he is now, with a mate and four kids, a not so bad result in my eyes. The story is long and boring to when he tells it, so most times I tuned out. I don't really care for him being clumsy for three months and hitting on mom, they can keep that to themselves.

Anyways I think I should check on them, they told me to not stay so long inside the ex-RDA lab, rather with my siblings and stuff doing whatever, but staying inside was nice, since I didn't need my exopack. Also, because Max and Norm are funny, always telling stories, but I digress. I mean Kiri is in here even more than me so we most of the time just sit around and look through the video logs and papers of my father and her mother, Dr. Grace Augustine.

"Bye you two!" I said putting the glass mask over my face and heading on out to see our clan's new base: High Camp, since the Kelutral got destroyed in the war 16 years ago. As soon as the sunlight touched my tanned skin and the door behind me closed I got pushed by a pair of blue hands. I was able to catch myself before looking at my attacker, one of the aspiring Taronyu still in training, who dis this regularly.

"(Hey, watch where you're going skxawng)" he said in a disrespectful manor, I wouldn't expect less from him or his group, they feel like the best there is, whilst not having done anything major since they started their training.

"(Keep that attitude of yours and we will see where you will end up in battle.)" he seemed surprised at me not instantly walking away like usual. After throwing an insult at his head and now trying to walk away he seemed to have regained his composure and quickly dashed towards me, he didn't know, that I was heading toward my family's tent, where my dad, the Olo'eyktan, was hopefully to be found and he wouldn't want a trainee Taronyu fighting his son for no reason.

"(Say that again!)" He swung a right hook at the back of my head, a terrible miss. I had already braced myself to take the hit but was pleasantly surprised when I felt nothing and only heard the groan of the taller teenager as his fist connected with nothing.