Chapter 19 - Family Reunion

With questioning looks exchanged among those around us, Ayoe turned away, gesturing for me to follow. She didn't seem to care that much. I could be jealous of that, but

"(Come with me to get your stuff.)" her tone and body language led no way for arguments. She led the way, and I fell into step behind her. Why did I have to be human again? I feel like every problem I have could be solved by being the same race as all the people around me. Attempting to alleviate the pain in my arm, especially in my shoulder, I made rotating motions. However, Ayoe wanted me to stop.

"(Stop doing that, it's distracting.)" She conveyed her displeasure. "(You are overreacting for what happened.)" She didn't look my way after this, as if wanting to disregard me as much as possible. Punishment? For whatever reason she did it, I had over things to complain about. And I did exactly that: disagreeing and arguing back.

"(You didn't have to throw me that hard, anyways.)" This was enough to break her self-imposed ignorance for my character, as she glared over her shoulder at me, displeased with the main emotion that was written on her face. "(So, you are the one in the wrong.)" She raised her eyebrows, making the difference in opinions obvious.

"(What is too hard is up for me to decide, Firin.)" she retorted with a scoff to my protest. But I wasn't about to let it slide, I feel like it shouldn't be up to her when dealing with someone who was physically inferior. I dislike admitting it, but it is mostly true, exceptions being Na'vi who have zero or near zero experience with fighting.

"(You don't have to be a bitch about it.)" I muttered under my breath. Ayoe shot me another of her almost trademark glares, her irritation palpable. "(Stop looking at me like that; you know it's true that you overreacted with the throw and not me with my arm!)" The tension escalated, and Ayoe exploded, yelling angrily.

"(Do you know me?!)" I flinched, not expecting that reaction from her, but at least I wasn't about to be physically assaulted again, so that was an upgrade for sure. But now I had the problem of an angry Na'vi girl in front of me, who I should calm down if my arm wasn't supposed to be the only body part hurt. But playing conversation poker in these situations was not as simple as I would hope it would be.

"(I think, but not that long.)" I replied, attempting to keep my composure and not blow my theoretical bluff, or something like that. I never got around to playing poker too much. I mean, which scientist lets a teenager play poker with them while they are drinking themselves into another world. But back to the problem at hand, Ayoe and her pissed state of mind.

"(Then don't assume things about the way I act, not after less than a day.)" she snapped back. I maintained a neutral expression outwardly, but inside, annoyance gnawed at me, at least I won this hand. I never liked these kinds of shouting matched, so I just stayed quiet, as not to throw oil into the fire that was now slowly dying after burning down a house. The remainder of the walk continued in silence, each step punctuated by unspoken tension, but finally only lasting a few more minutes, of that, I was sure.

I looked around and was able to see some Ilu's below us swimming out and about. Max once told me about them, but back then I cared little about the wildlife on Pandora. A shame really, but now I couldn't change it. Some of the Ilu's even watched some other villagers with interest, sticking their elongated heads out of the water, staying in place. I seemed to have stopped walking, as I was suddenly pulled along by a hand around my wrist.

"(Stop daydreaming, we have things to do.)" Ayoe disregarded my interest, not even giving me a singular look. I felt like a child that was misbehaving and was now punished by having to hold onto their parents' hand, so as not to stroll off again. I guess you could apply this principle here too.