Chapter 14 - Betrayal

"(Why did you have to join me again?)" I asked Kiri, still annoyed by her demanding to come with me, even going as far as threatening to tell our parents again. The wind whipped against my naked upper body, which was only protected by a tool belt, similar to the ones filled to the brim with ammunition, which were in some of the old films the laboratory's people had saved. Having an exopack was sometimes a blessing in disguise. Especially now, as the air couldn't cut out my eyes like the sound of it whipping around my ears would let me believe.

"(You know exactly why, skxawng.)" Was Kiri's response after giggling to herself and pushing herself closer onto my back, her petite breasts, only protected by her ever so skimpy leaf and string breast holder. She really pushed the boundaries of body contact, using the speed of flight as an excuse. She didn't need to put her arms around my waist. I am sure of that.

"(At least stop rubbing yourself off on me. Do that when I am not around, please.)" I yelled back hoping the method of teasing would get her to stop. I did seem to work to some degree, as she loosened her grip a little bit, leaning back.

"(Hey!)" the younger, but taller na'vi female exclaimed. "(Don't get the wrong idea, flyboy, I am only keeping myself from falling.)" A screech from Lu'un stopped the two of us from continuing with our argument.

"(Yeah, yeah. We'll stop.)" I said, one last glance being sent over my shoulder, before focusing on our surroundings again. Kiri also kept her mouth shut, making the journey rather quiet from here on out. I am sure she threw all her insults at me mentally, but I was lucky not to have to listen to those, as the verbal ones were enough already. Soon enough, did the start of the kill zone of Bridgehead City appear on the horizon. I started flying closer to the treetops, so as not to stick out too much. As often as I had been here, you could think that it would be safe to approach the settlement, but you would be wrong, it was still dangerous. If you weren't careful, they would send you to Eywa as soon as they laid their eyes upon you and that should be avoided. I shook my head to break away from these thoughts, as I mentally commanded Lu'un to enter the jungle below us through the treetops. A screech from him later and we were now seeing the ancient tree and other flora that had survived the arrival of the humans from earth.

"(Let's walk the rest!)" Yelled Kiri into my ear, making me flinch for a second. It felt like being back in the ikran hatchery, with how loud my step-sister could be. I nodded over my shoulder toward her, letting her know that I understood her assignment. Lu'un grappled onto some rope-like plants, which draped the side of a tree and practically shook us off. I can understand since he isn't used to carrying two people at the same time and needs some time before we can fly back with him. Both Kiri and I started our descent until we reached a thick branch, with many of which to be found on the old trees around us, from where we continued our path closer to the human settlement.

A few minutes passed, but we still cautiously treaded through the dense jungle, our steps muffled by the thick undergrowth. Not too long after did we finally reach the death zone and were now able to see Bridgehead City through the few trees that divided the jungle and the area seeded with automatic turrets. Dark smoke from the machinery inside clouded the sky above the settlement, giving everything an eerie feel, as it even blinded out the sun. Kiri's tail swished from side to side in a hurried fashion, a clear sign of her irritation as I had learned over the years. I couldn't blame her; the sudden transition from the lush, vibrant forest to the desolate expanse of the death zone was jarring, even for me who ignored it for the most part. Kiri's voice was filled with awe and dismay.

"(By Eywa, look at this barren wasteland!)" Her eyes darted around the dry, flat land to our side, before turning back to me and speaking with hurried words. "(This place is cursed, Firin.)" I turned to face her, my expression rather annoyed at the obvious comment.