Chapter 21 - Discussions

The deep voice that had just spoken from the entrance's direction reminded me of Colonel Miles Quaritch, but this one was warmer and not as crisp. Ayoe's eyes landed on the figure behind me, together with her mothers. I followed and saw a taller Na'vi man standing there. His face was partially covered in tattoos, and it was hardened by hunting and fighting, as a scar over his left brow left me to interpret. His entire body was in shape and screamed regular exercise and hard physical labor. Most likely a warrior, which made Ayoe a perfect mixture of both parents. She got her temper from Talueal and her career aspirations and bright blue eyes from her father, another thing you couldn't forget were the tidbits of behavior and preferences that most likely came from her upbringing, but enough philosophical speaking. Ayoe's father had a presence that demanded attention, but that could have also stemmed from his critical gaze the three of us received from him. I realized that nobody had answered his question previously, only letting the outside noises fill the blank space of answers. Seemingly having had enough, he restated his question with a new formulation.

"(Does anyone want to explain the reason why the Sully human is here?)" I exhaled relief, not having to worry about getting attacked by the next person for being in an unexpected place. Maybe I didn't have to explain everything again, that would be a blessing, as I could do without doing it for the third time today. I broke the eye contact that had just started with him and glanced over to Ayoe who quickly looked away from me. The short silence was broken this time by no one else than the woman that had attacked be previously. Talueal that is, not Ayoe.

"(They were here to get Ayoe's belongings for their home further outside the village, my mate.)" she spoke with a soft, but firm voice, assuming that the rest of the information were given to her man. Exactly that man just nodded briefly, acknowledging the explanation from his mate, and turned back to me with an expectant look on his face. Feeling this weight, I took a deep breath before answering his unspoken inquiry. I guess he didn't have as much insight as I had believed him to have after Ayoe's Mother had spoken.

"(Tonowari decided it would be best for my safety, avoiding too many interactions between myself and your people, hence your daughter is my bodyguard to enforce that further.)" The strong warrior's expression stayed the same, filled with stoicism, taking in the addition of information. His vibrant blue eyes still bore into my soul, with the same intensity his mate had had whilst her short outrage. The Marui Pod felt smaller with each passing second, as my pulse quickened and my senses heightened, expecting the worst.

"(Tonowari's decision, quite unusual for our Olo'eyktan to order something like this.)" Ayoe's father spoke in a measured tone, contemplating the explanation. His attention then shifted to Ayoe, who stood beside me, her posture reflecting a mix of obedience and readiness. It was evident that her father's judgment mattered greatly to her. Maybe he had something to do with her state of skittishness when I had first met her in the Marui Pod of Tonowari and Ronal, but right now is not the time to ponder about this. "(And you, Ayoe? Are you comfortable with this arrangement?)" The tall warrior continued with his barrage of questions. Ayoe hesitated, her eyes flickering between her father and me.

"(It's not my ideal situation, Father, but I'll do what's necessary to follow Tonowari's command. I'll keep him safe, even if it means not being able to spend as much time training as before.)" Her father nodded, seemingly satisfied with Ayoe's response. In some sense we were similar with all the things that were decided for us. I would have liked to stay with my family, maybe even trying to become well liked here and Ayoe had her own goals with going in her fathers' footsteps, but it was all not meant to be, quite tragic if you ask me.

"(Very well, daughter. Protecting the clan and its' goals is of utmost importance for us warriors. Just ensure that you act wisely, Ayoe.)" As the atmosphere began to ease, Ayoe's father turned his attention back to me. "(Firin, you are now under our protection as well, as long as Ayoe is your bodyguard. But make no mistake—any trouble you bring upon yourself will be yours to handle, we will only step in when things get out of hand.)" I nodded, acknowledging the implicit warning. Having string allies was something my dad would surely like, but for now everything I could do was try my best to be integrated into the clan, be that culturally or any other way. It could only go better than with the Metkayina, little, but still negative, human contact was better than a lot of negative human contact. Not as much prejudice that could spill onto me.