Chapter 16 - Journey (Unpolished)

Our family had decided to make a pilgrimage to the Tree of Souls instead of flying, like we would normally do. The Tree of Souls is a place of great significance for our people; hence we go to it to elect a new Olo'eyktan. Hopefully the new one will be a leader who will guide the clan through these troubled times and into a time of peace. But that won't be on my mind for a few years most likely.

The journey to the Tree of Souls was a somber one, we all knew that we approached an event that only a few wanted to happen and those happily stayed back to look over the camp while the rest of the clan attended. We walked in silence, each lost in our own thoughts. The ancient, towering trees of Pandora's lush jungle seemed to echo our uncertainty. It was like Eywa knew what was going on and told the wildlife to stray away, so as not to disturb the mood. I personally would have liked something to distract myself from the negative thoughts rotating in my head.

I glanced at Kiri, who was only a few meters in front of me. Her hips didn't have the normal swing to them, like any other time that I looked, not that I do that often of course *Ahem*. Now more than ever did I feel like everything would feel safer if Spider was here with my family. I winced as a sharp pain went through my chest. Nothing physical, but every time he crossed my mind it happened. If I was told that Spider would be kidnapped a few weeks ago I would have called that person stupid, but here we are now.

A few long days passed before we finally arrived at the sacred site, where most Na'vi from our clan had gathered. I was surprised how many were already here, as everything was set in motion less than a week ago. The atmosphere was tense yet hopeful, as I could make out many different groups doing everyday tasks in the distance. Some were talking, others were praying, and some had come back from hunting. The view could make you forget what was about to happen in a few hours.

As we approached the gathering, the scene unfolded much like my parents' conversation earlier. The voices of the clan members blended into a murmur of concern and discussion. The few that lingered around the outskirts came closer, as if not wanting to miss anything that could happen. I couldn't help but feel a mix of fear, confusion, and cluelessness, just as I had during my parents' conversation, being so close to the end of our lives in the jungle. The feelings hit like a train you didn't hear coming or like a wave washing over the unsuspecting surfer.

This was a critical time in our lives, and I knew that my family and I would confront whatever was ahead by uniting and finding strength in our shared experiences as we walked the uncertain route that laid ahead. I turned to my sister once more, who seemed to be looking at me too. She quickly turned her head back forward, as if I hadn't noticed her staring at me. I thought it was funny and I mustered a small smile. The most the current situation allowed me to do.

Maybe an hour later I fetch a glance of the new Olo'eyktan, Tarsem. He had always been smart beyond his years, he had never been one to cause harm to me, quite the opposite in fact, like defending me when I was still younger and couldn't do so myself. Over the years we grew further apart as his responsibilities grew and I became more independent. I still had a huge amount of respect for him, as most people had. He was popular and so nobody complained about him becoming my father's successor. Jake was a respected figure among the clan, despite his "demon blood" as some said. There were always at most a handful who had something against him. A clear sign of his competence.

Now we all awaited the start of the ceremony as the elders and other people of higher ranks rushed around to finish everything up. Even Tarsem didn't let it show how this entire thing was affecting him, rather helping everywhere he could, just like a leader should. All this still didn't remove the sorrow from the air. It was still hard to keep your composure, as Tuk showed by breaking out in tears multiple times and only stopping when in the arms of Neytiri.