Chapter 5 - Hidden in plain Sight

Just how far away was this shitty base of them?! I have been running for what feels like ages now, but still haven't come across a single sentient creature, like a Na'vi or a human. To be honest, I really wished to find the latter one, but my luck seems to be quite scarce today. First the flying ban and now this. Just the regular depts of the Na'ring jungle with all its flora and sometimes fauna. Since the sun had begun to set when my fight started and now the dark had set in if you want to call It that with all the bioluminescent plants around me, lighting up the entire jungle in a very beautiful way. I again heard the distant noise of some random animal. It didn't concern me, I just kept jogging across the thick branches in search of the so-called base 'Bridgehead'. This continued for a good while until I was out of breath again. I slowed down my pace, now only walking in the direction I knew I would be successful in finding my target. My loud breath was not helpful. You could never be sure where a predator was lurking in the jungle. My thirst and tiredness were getting to me as well, a bad combination for the moment. Every once in a while, my eyes unfocused making me stop. And not to mention my Exopack, it still contained enough energy to last through the night, but sleeping could very much risk me suffocating, which I wanted to avoid. This was such a stupid and hotheaded idea. I wonder how the rest of my family was doing. I hope they do not worry about me that much. What lectures would I hear from Neytiri, I don't even want to imagine. Whatever, it will be fine in the end. It has always been that way. That's all I could tell myself now anyway.

Another eternity had passed until something interesting happened. A bright light appeared through the trees and other flora which still glowed through the night with their bioluminescence, it seemed distant, very much so. I began walking closer. The light grew as it started spreading horizontally. One strange thing I noticed was an obscurely large gap between the jungle and the strange blinding light. Was this what I thought it was? My enthusiasm to finally be arriving at the base of the other humans had refueled my missing energy. I quickly climbed down from the branch I formerly stood upon and started walking across the scorched land. As soon as I stepped on the barren ground something I had already pushed out of my memory started happening again. Time slowed down and everything went cold and quiet, falling into complete silence. Soon a voice I didn't miss spoke into the now nothingness around me "...beware...retreat from danger..." Why did I suddenly have a bad feeling? That was the last thing I needed right now since I was so close to my imaginary finish line. I whispered to the void.

"(What is going to happen to me now?)" I of course got no answer, as everything went back to normal. I readied myself for anything pouncing on me from behind, as I had stopped being careful ever since the base came into my view first. What I didn't expect next was a sudden flash of bullets zooming toward my still figure. I somehow sidestepped the first salve of projectiles and immediately started backing away, back towards the jungle where I came from, where I was safe. My breathing had gone rapid and my senses were on high alert. The second salve was only shot in my general direction with every single bullet missing its target. I was on the brink of hyperventilating, screaming with panic and straight up passing out from the exhaustion on top of the other two things. WHAT DID I GET MYSELF INTO THIS TIME?! I wasn't allowed to think much, or even calm down enough to even attempt that. A squad of soldiers appeared in my field of view, seemingly coming from a patrol straight to the sound of whatever was firing at me. They were equipped with a full-body tactical camouflage suit with plates and stuff. Each held a rifle similar to the one my dad used when flying into a mission against them. Mom hated his usage of it but that didn't put him off from continuing to use it. He still was a marine in some parts, some things never change. The major difference I saw was that every one of them had a flashlight attachment mounted on the side of the rifle bright enough to make the entire bioluminescence disappear into the dark, in which they now didn't see me.