Chapter 8 - Still not listening

My feet moved through the flora that made up the floor of the jungle, passing all sorts of fungi, trees, and other plants along the way. I was followed by a girl, only a few years older than me, who happily strode behind my taller frame, without a care in the world as it seemed for me. We were getting closer to reaching the goal of our short travel, her home, the human settlement.

"We're nearly there." I said into the jungle in front of us, not looking at Louise. She only sighed and took a quick few steps to walk next to me, rather than behind me. I glanced at the teenager, who smiled from ear to ear, for whatever reason. I didn't give it much thought, also not after she grabbed my hand and swung it in sync with her steps lightly.

"I know." She replied after a few moments, which were only filled by the rather quiet ambiance before she had started talking. "I really wish we could still spend time together today." I audibly breathed out through my nose and smiled lightly, before coming up with a sentence to continue our small conversation.

"We can always hang out tomorrow, or the day afterward." She tugged at my hand, which she was still holding, which in consequence turned me toward her. She mirrored me, turning to me and we both stopped walking.

"But what if that is not enough for me?" She said, closing the distance between the two of us. I was a head taller than her, which had me looking down at her and her up at me.

"Well," I let my vision swerve around us shortly before letting it rest on her beautiful face again. "That just means that you are a needy little friend." Louise pouted as a reaction.

"GIRL-friend." She added, still making the same face, which made her just so cute in my opinion. "I thought we had established that already." I laughed and put my arms around her waist.

"Well, of course, babe." I said the last part trying to impersonate her when she called me by the same nickname whilst flying earlier. She just took off both of our visors that covered our faces, which allowed us to breathe the air on pandora, but restricted an activity I personally quite enjoyed. Louise started standing on her toes to shorten the distance between our faces, which hadn't that much of an effect, so I declined my head down, letting our lips meet. Only a second later she declined to stand on her entire foot again and put her exopack back on.

"Dick." She let out after taking the first breath again. I giggled.

"Only for you." I winked, making us both chuckle, before I grabbed her hand again, pulling her along for the rest of the way, toward Bridgehead City.

This didn't take long and soon Louise and I stood near the kill zone, we gave each other a short kiss whilst hugging to say goodbye and I asked one last question after we both separated from one another.

"I think we should find a way to communicate with each other over distance." Louise gave me a confused look.

"And how do you want to achieve that?" I raised my eyebrows to show the cluelessness I shared with the teenage girl in front of me. I put my hands on my waist and looked around to help me come up with ideas, which didn't really help. Louise cleared her throat after a short while.

"What about that?" She pointed at the transmitter I had around my throat. I forgot I had that, I just put it on to look cool, to be honest with myself. I nodded and we both exchanged IDs to enable us to speak through them.

With this, we finally did say our goodbyes and went our separate ways for the day. But the day still wasn't over, as I started making my way back to my ikran, better known as Lu'un, calling out to him after trekking back for a few minutes. I saw his outline through the trees before the greenish ikran landed in front of me and gave off one of his noises.