Chapter 9 - Catching demons

We had been playing around for a good hour or two already when Lo'ak decided it was best to go back and as Kiri was again away from the rest of her siblings I volunteered to go and search for her.

"(Kiri?)" I spoke in hope of finding her quickly, brushing away a big leaf, behind which I found the Na'vi girl sleeping in the grass. Atokirina' were floating around her still frame, as the grass seemed to be moving to her breath, moving away in circles, like when a helicopter was trying to land. I moved in closer, careful not to harm any of the seeds around the still frame of my sister.

"(Kiri. Hey.)" I lightly shook her shoulder in an attempt to wake her up gently, not like she had done earlier today when taking me away from my dreams. I repeated her name a few more times until she finally groaned, switching from laying on her side to laying on her back, squinting up at me before sitting up. "(Is everything fine?)" She looked away from me before replying to my question.

"(I did that thing again, didn't I?)" I knew what she meant. Ever since the two of us were young she had some sort of connection to the planet, always being fascinated by the little things on pandora or making friends with almost any animal she met. I gently pushed aside one of the Atokirina', which had started ascending a little bit too close to my face.

"(Yeah, you did.)" I answered her question whilst smiling lightly. She still seemed uneasy every time she had one of these moments, as it made her stick out like a sore thumb. Not that that made a difference when she mainly hung out with two humans her entire life. Our small moment of peace and silence was interrupted by our younger sister, who was seemingly looking for Kiri as well.

"(Kiri!)" being echoed by her, the almost twice as tall teenager following behind her who I didn't notice before, and Spider, who was last let himself be shown. "(Kiri, we need to go back!)" she exclaimed again. I nodded at her and helped her get up, before following the other three back home, which didn't go as planned, as Lo'ak, followed by Spider suddenly went off course, jumping down the fallen tree trunk we previously trekked upon.

"(What's wrong?)" asked a skeptic Kiri, who stopped walking to wait for her brother's reasoning.

"(We're supposed to be back home by the eclipse.)" said Tuk, not really adding anything, as we all knew how keen our parents were on enforcing that rule, not that I broke it a few times in the last few months. Lo'ak had found fresh tracks, which Kiri, Tuk, and I only saw after getting closer to the two males.

"(These are too big for humans.)" The first said, looking around for clues, not that he would spot anything. I looked closer, gathering the information that the creature these belonged to wore boots.

"(Avatars?)" asked Spider.

"(Seems possible,)" Lo'ak countered, standing up again and continuing his speech. "(But definitely none of ours.)" Referring to the scientists like Norm, who drove his avatar around the camp most of the time. He and Spider had started moving along the tracks, only to be distracted by Kiri again.

"(What are you doing?)"

"(Shh, he's following them.)" I shot down her question whilst giving her a short glance, which she didn't seem to catch, now only staying quiet like the rest of us. Soon we glanced through the thickest at a few Na'vi dressed in military clothing, holding automatic rifles, searching in and around an old and run-down link shack, like the ones we had back in the base.

"(We should've never come here.)" Said Kiri with a subdued voice, as not to draw attention, but soon spoke back to Lo'ak. "(Dad is going to give you a flight ban.)" She looked at me. "(You too. For the rest of your life.)"

"(Shh. Can you stop?)" was the only response she got from Lo'ak, as the rest of us had our eyes fixated on the military crew. He had drawn his bow ever since he had started following the tracks and now urged Spider forward with him, still whispering. "(Come on, we need to check that out.)" They will get us killed, I'm sure of that, but I can't let them do this shit alone. I moved forward as well, mine and Spider's exopacks making noise as we drew our breaths. The three of us crouched down behind a tree trunk that had fallen long ago and was covered by moss and other short vegetation.