Unpredictable

Minghao headed into school on Tuesday feeling great. He didn't know why, he just felt like he was having a good week.

Firstly, his favourite singer had released some cool new music, his b-boy group won an inter-state competition, and he was getting especially good at his English now that he had been in LA for over two years.

As he walked into school, Minghao noticed his best friend heading toward him.

"Hey, Shua." Minghao smiled, greeting his best friend of five years with a warm hug.

Joshua gave Minghao one of his warmest smiles. "Hey, Minghao. I have a question for you."

Minghao nodded. "Go on."

Joshua hesitated for a moment. "I know it's short notice but... you know my family is Catholic?"

Minghao nodded.

"Okay. Well, in Christianity we have this thing called Ash Wednesday. It's tomorrow and Catholics take up a fast on Ash Wednesday. We don't eat for the whole day. I was wondering if you would be happy to join me. Y'know, as a bit of moral support. I was going to ask Jeonghan but you know what he's like with food."

Minghao smiled. "Of course, I'll join you. As long as it helps you. It must be pretty hard not eating while everyone else is eating."

Joshua let out a small laugh. "Yeah. It can be."

"Okay. I'll join you tomorrow. No food. Are you going to any services? I'd like to learn more about Christianity. I was brought up mainly surrounded by Buddhism and Taoism. Can I join you?"

Joshua smiled. "Of course, you can, Hao. I'm not going to stop you if you want to learn. I'll be heading to a service straight out of school tomorrow. I'll bring you with me."

"Thanks, Shua. This is a great learning opportunity."

Minghao was interrupted by the bell ringing, signalling the beginning of classes.

The two boys shared another hug before running off to their classes.

—————————

Minghao woke up the next day feeling hungry, stomach grumbling for food. He let out a long groan as his phone reminded him that he had promised Joshua to join him in his Ash Wednesday fast.

Damn promises. He'd just have to make the day work.

Minghao quickly threw on his school uniform and grabbed his school bag, checking he had all his textbooks and his laptop before heading down to say goodbye to his mom.

"I'm off to school," Minghao called as he grabbed his coat and threw it on.

Minghao's mom quickly came through to the hallway. "Have you had breakfast? I've set out a box of cereal."

Minghao shook his head. "I promised Joshua I'd be moral support today. Catholics have this thing called Ash Wednesday when they don't eat for a day. I'm joining him as moral support."

Minghao's mom rolled her eyes. "Alright, but if you can't do it, don't force yourself."

Minghao smiled. "Of course not, mom. Love you. I'm joining Joshua for an Ash Wednesday service after school so I'll be back late. I'll call you when it's finished." Minghao quickly rushed out the door, not wanting his mom to worry even more.

—————————

It was an hour after what would usually be lunchtime when Minghao realised he'd made a mistake.

Over the day he had been becoming weaker and weaker until he was struggling to walk without holding a wall.

At one point Junhui only just managed to catch him as he fell. Junhui thought he had tripped. Minghao was sure he had blacked out for a moment.