Chains

Having a boyfriend with a disease, especially when said boyfriend wasn't so good at monitoring their disease, meant that Junhui had seen a lot of the walls of a hospital.

Something Junhui didn't see so often, was the inside of a psychiatric ward.

Something Junhui was even less thrilled to see was his unconscious boyfriend lying in restraints, looking tiny in the bed, surrounded by anti-suffocation blankets.

Junhui looked up at the doctor. "What happened?"

———————

Minghao had been taken to the hospital for hypoglycaemia. He had fainted in the dorm before dinner and they hadn't been able to wake him up, despite Mingyu giving him a glucagon injection and Seungcheol using the dextrose gel. No matter what they tried, he was still lying unconscious in Junhui's lap, Mingyu trying to talk to him while Jeonghan played with his hair.

Seungcheol had called the ambulance, knowing that they didn't have anything else to try to wake him up.

The last the group had seen of Minghao was as he was taken away in an ambulance, strapped to a gurney with a saline IV in his wrist and an oxygen mask over his face.

The doctors took Minghao's blood sugar reading at the hospital, finding it at 30mg/dL. They hooked him up to a dextrose IV and left to wait for him to recover.

Once he was receiving the dextrose to counter the low blood sugar, he soon started waking up, but that was where everything went wrong.

Minghao's blood sugar was still too low, even if he was waking up, and it was causing some adverse effects.

As he hadn't had a seizure, the doctors hadn't seen a need for restraints, but that wasn't the case.

The moment Minghao woke up he started freaking out, shouting and crying, attracting the attention of several nearby doctors who all arrived to try and calm the situation.

With the room full of unfamiliar people, Minghao started freaking out even more, screaming and kicking and thrashing against the doctors who had started to restrain him.

Once the restraints were around his wrists and ankles and he could no longer cause any harm, he was given a shot of Haldol, eyes rolling back in his head, quickly falling limp on the bed.

When he was unconscious, Minghao's primary doctor called a psychiatrist and arranged admission to the psych unit so they could find out what had happened to him.

Almost as soon as the move was authorised, Minghao was moved to the psych ward, being left alone in a private room, still being treated by dextrose with the addition of antipsychotics.

———————

Junhui was called by the hospital as Minghao was being moved to the psychiatric ward. He was told a few small details before he ended the call and rushed off to the hospital where he was allowed into the psychiatric ward and shown to Minghao's room.

Once the doctor had given him the full explanation, he left Junhui to keep an eye on Minghao and wait for him to wake up.

Minghao woke up almost an hour after he was given the injection, waking up with an exhausted groan as he tried to roll over, only to be stopped by the restraints keeping him pinned to the bed.

His eyes went wide as he pulled at the restraints and looked around, spotting Junhui almost immediately.

"Junnie... What happened?" Minghao asked, voice small and weak.

Junhui sighed, smiling softly. "The doctors said you were psychotic when you woke up. It was most likely from the low blood sugar but they had to bring you up to psych as a precaution. You'll only be here until they can confirm it was the blood sugar causing it."

Junhui pressed a button at the side of Minghao's bed, making up move to a more upright position.

Minghao obviously wasn't liking the restraints because they were different to usual. Normally the restraints would be attached to the rails of the bed and would be longer, stopping him from reaching his other hand but letting him move around a little. These restraints were attached to the bed, a long black strip going around the bed and under him with the loops for his wrists on the strip, keeping him from moving his arms at all. His legs were the same, and he usually didn't have any restraints on his legs.

"Please take off the restraints..." Minghao said, voice soft and pleading.

Junhui ran his hands through Minghao's hair. "I'm sorry. We'll get in trouble if I take them off. I'll call the doctor instead."

Junhui pressed the button beside Minghao's bed, calling the doctor into the room.

"Ah, Mr Seo. I'm sure Mr Moon has already explained why you're here."

Minghao nodded slowly, looking absolutely exhausted.

The doctor turned to Junhui. "And he hadn't been acting unusual since waking up."

Junhui shook his head, slipping Minghao's hand into his. "Not at all."

The doctor nodded, taking a note on his clipboard. "Alright. You can remove the restraints and we will monitor you for a few hours before deciding if we can discharge you or not."

As soon as he was given the word, Junhui released Minghao's wrists and ankles from the tight restraints, gently massaging out some of the red marks on his wrists.

Minghao threw his arms around Junhui, sharing a warm hug as he started sobbing. "I don't remember before, Hui. I don't remember waking up before."

The doctor nodded. "That would be the Haldol. We had to sedate you to calm you down."

Even when Junhui pulled away, Minghao kept a tight grip on him, not letting him get too far away.

Once the doctor had left the two to relax a bit, Junhui climbed into bed beside Minghao, holding him close and playing with his hair.

"Let's go to sleep, yeah?" Junhui whispered, pressing a kiss to Minghao's forehead. "I'm sure you're tired."

Minghao nodded, pressing his face into Junhui's chest and closing his eyes, falling asleep beside his boyfriend within minutes with the aid of the drugs still lingering in his system.

———————

Minghao was discharged late that evening after a few tests confirmed that it was hypoglycaemia that caused his psychotic episode.

Junhui helped him with his bag and collected a new glucagon shot before supporting him to the car where Mingyu was waiting for them.

Junhui and Minghao sat in the back of the car, Minghao lying across the seats with his head in Junhui's lap, his body still working hard to metabolise the antipsychotics he'd been forced on.

The drive was quiet, Mingyu playing some of Minghao's favourite calm music through the car's speakers, turned down low to let him sleep. Junhui played with Minghao's caramel hair and his pretty ears, missing the earrings the doctors had removed when he was admitted to the psych ward.

Everything that had been confiscated by the doctors had been given back to them upon discharge, shoe laces, earrings, his glasses and the books and blanket that had been in the hospital bag Junhui brought with him to the hospital. They were standard for Minghao to have in the hospital, but the psych ward wouldn't allow them. Junhui had tried to argue with the nurse over the blanket, as it was always one of Minghao's biggest comforts in the hospital, but it had been to no avail.

They were sitting in a small plastic bag in his hospital bag, all except the blanket, which had been draped over Minghao as soon as he was in the car.

By the time they got back to the dorms, the sun had set and Minghao had fallen fast asleep in Junhui's lap, so Mingyu hoisted him up in his arms, blanket and all, and carried him into the elevator. Junhui followed just behind them with Minghao's hospital bag.

When Minghao was gently placed down in bed, awake albeit barely, he kept a tight grip on Mingyu, so the Korean man stayed with them, Junhui climbing in beside the two and wrapping his arms around Minghao.

"You've done so well today, Hao. I'm proud of you. Get some rest, yeah?" Junhui whispered, pressing a gentle kiss to the crown of Minghao's head before turning off the lights, the three men quickly falling asleep in each other's arms.