Benefit of the Doubt

After all these years of suffering with his condition, Minghao would have thought that should he ask for a day off, especially on busier days, he would be given a day off.

Manager changes, as always, had been a pain in the ass for Minghao.

The managers had been through the first aid course to help Minghao, but one thing they hadn't learnt about Minghao was that he hardly ever told people when he wasn't feeling well.

They were scheduled for one of their busiest days of the year when Minghao woke up feeling dizzy and weak.

Knowing he wouldn't be able to attend any of their schedules or even make it to the bathroom himself, he grabbed the phone from his nightstand and called Seungcheol to help him with his medication.

Once Minghao had taken his meds and was able to sit on the edge of the bed, Seungcheol called their new manager, explaining that Minghao couldn't do any of his activities for the day. When the manager dismissed Seungcheol, saying Minghao had to do the shoot, Seungcheol argued that Minghao couldn't even get out of bed, but that too had been dismissed.

Seungcheol ended the call with a sigh, looking at Minghao with an apologetic look.

"Sorry, Hao. They think you're just trying to get out of the schedule because you don't want to do it." Seungcheol said, pulling Minghao in for a hug.

Minghao closed his eyes, starting to feel faint. "I can't do the schedules. We have photoshoots and rehearsals and a fansign. I can't do any of those."

Seungcheol pulled Minghao forward again, letting the Chinese boy rest his chin on his shoulder. "I'm so sorry, HaoHao. We'll keep a close eye on you and maybe set an alarm for every hour to remind us about your blood sugar."

Minghao sighed, forcing himself to his feet and heading for the door.

Seungcheol followed him, helping prepare him breakfast when he could barely get up from the table to do it himself.

———————

Over the day, Minghao didn't improve much.

During the photoshoot, Seungcheol and Junhui kept pulling Minghao aside to give him some supplements and snacks. At one point, Minghao got too tired to stand up, sinking to the ground in the middle of one of his solo shoots.

As Junhui and Wonwoo looped their arms under his and helped him across to room to his bags, Minghao couldn't help but think about the fact that none of his pictures could be coming out very well. He was exhausted, sleepy, and sometimes not even coherent.

Minghao barely registered as he was placed down on a couch and a few people fussed around him, pricking his finger to take his blood sugar reading. He could feel an oxygen mask being fixed over his face and then the sharp scratch as someone stuck a needle in his thigh. Minghao tried to flinch away, but somebody was holding his leg still.

Over the next ten minutes, Minghao slowly felt his energy, strength and consciousness return, starting to recognise Junhui sitting beside him and Mingyu on the other couch, watching him carefully. There were a few other members around, but Minghao didn't bother looking to find out who it was.

Instead, he turned his head, pressing his face into Junhui's arm and knocking his oxygen mask.

Junhui chuckled quietly, moving his arm so it was around Minghao's shoulders and gently readjusting the oxygen mask over his face.

"'M tired..." Minghao whined, voice small and weak.

Junhui pressed a kiss to the crown of Minghao's head and held him close. "They found a few good pictures they'll use for you. Don't worry about the shoot anymore. Just get some sleep."